2015 KIA optima turbo Coolant Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Im doing a professional coolant flush in my kia optima turbo they only make the KIA Green in concentrate not 50/50, my manual says any ethylene glycol 50/50 Green coolant. can i use Peak OEM GREEN 50/50 or Should i bite the bullet and mix a batch of KIA coolant? Also should i use the bg cooling system cleaner?

Thanks in Advance guys

There is no need to flush your cooling system. Drain and refill the radiator with the correct 50/50 mix and bleed the system properly.

How many miles? First coolant change not until 120,000 miles. Flush 5 or 6 times with distilled water and refill with full strength to the proper concentration. There will always be a good bit of water left in the block so 50/50 coolant would get diluted too much.

Originally Posted by atikovi
How many miles? First coolant change not until 120,000 miles. Flush 5 or 6 times with distilled water and refill with full strength to the proper concentration. There will always be a good bit of water left in the block so 50/50 coolant would get diluted too much.

Again, what is the need for flushing?

This is not specified in the factory service instructions.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by atikovi

Again, what is the need for flushing?

This is not specified in the factory service instructions.

While that is true, the factory service instructions also state the future coolant changes should be at 30,000 mile intervals. A simple drain and refill leaves something like half the original coolant in the engine which is why subsequent changes have to be so frequent. Getting ALL the old coolant (well OK, maybe 98%) by flushing 5 or 6 times with distilled water and filling with full strength coolant will let you go another 120,000 miles before the next change.

If the old coolant looks clear and not neglected I'd do only drain and fill. So much simpler.
I plan to do the first change on my Tucson at 5 years, then subsequent every 5 years with Zerex Asian.
Did the same with my previous Toyota and the old coolant always came out looking like new

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
If the old coolant looks clear and not neglected I'd do only drain and fill. So much simpler.
I plan to do the first change on my Tucson at 5 years, then subsequent every 5 years with Zerex Asian.
Did the same with my previous Toyota and the old coolant always came out looking like new

That's up to you but you're mixing half the old coolant with new coolant. Better than nothing but not really a coolant change and not something that is recommended for another 5 years. That's like changing oil every 7,500 miles but the filter only every other change leaving a filter full of old oil in the engine. And just because the old coolant always came out looking like new, that doesn't tell you if the additive package has worn out or not.

First off thank you for the replies, if i do a drain and refill What 50/50 Green Ethylene Glycol Coolant do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back