Mitsuboshi Timing Belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

That said, nothing wrong with Mitsuboshi or Bando belts or timing belts

Do you actually do timing belt jobs on a regular basis, or are you basing your opinion from what you read on forums?

Timing chains in my limited experience go out of spec at around 200k miles, but nobody pays attention

Originally Posted by Y_K
Timing chains in my limited experience go out of spec at around 200k miles, but nobody pays attention

Timing chain changes every 60K is a fact of life for older Mercedes engines. It's not so much the chain but the tensioner rails. I yearn for the days of timing belts.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Do you actually do timing belt jobs on a regular basis, or are you basing your opinion from what you read on forums?

Nope! Because now I'm smart enough to shop for cars that have a chain instead
smile.gif

That said, those two are probably the OE supplier to most Japanese cars, and also Gates Unitta. But I'd be afraid to buy a Gates TB on the aftermarket because it's probably just a regular Gates that's not as good.

There was one TB I saw on Rock Auto under the name Enginetech or something, one of the no-name economy brands, and the picture was a US-made Mitsuboshi.

What do you think of German-made Conti TB? I've also seen Dayco timing belts made in Italy (they bought out Pirelli's belt business). Do you have any experience with those?

What do you think of German-made Conti TB? I've also seen Dayco timing belts made in Italy (they bought out Pirelli's belt business). Do you have any experience with those?

I buy from the dealer. If it is a budget job, then it receives the Aisin kit.

Aftermarket parts are becoming more and more poor by the month.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I buy from the dealer. If it is a budget job, then it receives the Aisin kit.

Aftermarket parts are becoming more and more poor by the month.

Right, plus always worried about getting counterfeit stuff. Turned 70 earlier this year. Did complete TB jobs on both vehicles last year...probably will never do another one. But, if I do, it will be all OEM stuff.

This is why I like timing chains, because you usually never have to replace them
smile.gif

Same engine family, different generation, earlier SOHC and later DOHC but it would be no problem to drive the additional cam with the belt. To do the belt, remove bumper, radiator support and radiator, engine cover and have at it.
The chain requires the engine be pulled and the parts cost many times more. Dealer price, belt $2500 or about $700 DIY inc the $400 pump, chain circa 8-10K in this area and without some real skills not a DIY. Chain guides on these have been known to fail at 100K or less or about the same interval as the belt replacement.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mitsuboshi is the gold standard of Honda timing belts. If someone has seen 2 failures, my first reaction would be faked goods. I am always careful of my sourcing, that is, no sleazy eBay vendors for mission critical parts.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Mitsuboshi is the gold standard of Honda timing belts. If someone has seen 2 failures, my first reaction would be faked goods. I am always careful of my sourcing, that is, no sleazy eBay vendors for mission critical parts.

I agree re sourcing. Poster who claims two premature belt failures is a mechanic who installs parts supplied by his customers. In these two case, customers provided Aisin kits. Who knows where they came from.

I would say Gates Unitta (NOT Gates aftermarket) is the gold standard for Honda and any other car manufacturer who sources timing belts from them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
The chain requires the engine be pulled and the parts cost many times more. Dealer price, belt $2500 or about $700 DIY inc the $400 pump, chain circa 8-10K in this area and without some real skills not a DIY. Chain guides on these have been known to fail at 100K or less or about the same interval as the belt replacement.

09.gif

Originally Posted by artbuc

I agree re sourcing. Poster who claims two premature belt failures is a mechanic who installs parts supplied by his customers. In these two case, customers provided Aisin kits. Who knows where they came from.

I would say Gates Unitta (NOT Gates aftermarket) is the gold standard for Honda and any other car manufacturer who sources timing belts from them.

The two Aisin kits I've installed personally were from Rock or Amazon(and I made sure it was sold and shipped by Amazon and not a 3rd party).

I know Nissan and Subaru also use Unitta belts. Years ago when my parents had a Nissan Quest, we had a local shop install all OEM parts I ordered for the T-belt. The new Nissan belt was an Unitta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back