Motul 300V -- oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Motul 300V 15w50 in my Super Duke and it's been great. Shift quality seems to be holding up better than the Motorex PowerSynt I ran before. And the weird green color is cool. So I buy some more. Or so I thought.

Turns out I mistakenly ordered, and received, 2 liters of the 300V 15w50 "Motorsport" in a very cool metal can to go with some 300V bike oil I had left over. Car oil in other words. The specs aren't exactly the same as the 300V bike oil, but they're very close indeed.

What's the wisdom of the crowd on this one? OK to mix with the bike oil in basically a 50/50 ratio, or just set it aside and use as a spendy top off oil?

My two cents worth is you'll be fine. No brand of 15w50 has negative friction modifying characteristics that I'm aware of so mixing it 50/50 would probably be a great way to go and probably never know the difference.

Is the Motorsport an ester oil as well? I asked because someone suggested Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage synthetic was basically the same as Mobil 1 10w40 4T racing motorcycle specific oil. I look at the analysis of recent samples of both and they are not even close. I suspect the motorcycle specific oil has more ester content in it, as it does not break down to any extent in 5,000 miles in a shared sump ZRX 1200 which would be hard on the oil very much like your KTM.

Originally Posted by xr650boy
I've been running Motul 300V 15w50 in my Super Duke and it's been great. Shift quality seems to be holding up better than the Motorex PowerSynt I ran before. And the weird green color is cool. So I buy some more. Or so I thought.

Turns out I mistakenly ordered, and received, 2 liters of the 300V 15w50 "Motorsport" in a very cool metal can to go with some 300V bike oil I had left over. Car oil in other words. The specs aren't exactly the same as the 300V bike oil, but they're very close indeed.

What's the wisdom of the crowd on this one? OK to mix with the bike oil in basically a 50/50 ratio, or just set it aside and use as a spendy top off oil?

I would mix (or top up if your engine cosume oil),but not more than 25% of the Motorsport one,just to be safe...

Mixing oils is a crap shoot whether you will upset the balance and negate protection...

Quote Blackstone Labs wisdom...
"Usually, at least several of these additives will be synergistic. That
is, they react mutually, in groups of two or more, to create an effect
that none of them could attain individually. Changing or adding to
this formula can upset the balance and negate the protective effect
the formula was meant to achieve, even if you are only adding more of
something that was already included in the initial package."

"This information should also be taken into account when adding to the
oil already in your bike or when mixing oils for any reason, such as
synthetic with petroleum. In these cases, always make sure the oils
you are putting together have the same rating. This tells you their
additive packages are basically the same, or at least compatible, and
are less likely to upset the balance or counteract each other."

Last edited:
If you're liking what you're feeling with your current fill, don't do anything that may change it.
I have found that the shifting feel of the NV4500 trans in my Dodge is very sensitive to the fluid.

I run 300v 10w40 motorcycle as well. I personally wouldn't mix those two. Send it back and exchange it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back