Ford 2.5L Engine and 6F35 Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! New to this site... Looking for advice on a van purchase. I'm researching 2016 Ford Transit Connect Passenger Vans - I'll be using it as a daily driver but also removing the third row seats and building out for a convertible bed and storage area. These vans seem like the most practical and versatile option for what I want, but I'm worried about buying a Ford for reliability and longevity (we've always been Honda, Toyota, and Subaru people). For reference, I am currently still driving my 2007 Subaru Legacy Wagon with 200k miles on it. I hope my next vehicle (possibly the Ford TC Van) will run as long and as reliably.

I have a couple of questions that I thought someone in here might be able to help with:

The Ford 2.5L Engine - were those made as a partnership between Ford and Madza in 2016? Is it good and reliable engine? I know it's not going to be as powerful as my Subie, but I don't mind that as much. Any other things I should research about this engine?

The Ford TC Van has a 6F35 transmission. Any feedback on these? I know that some of the newer Ford Fiestas and some other models have pretty bad transmission issues, but I assume it's not these transmissions.

Anyway, if anyone has advice on this or suggestions on another vehicle I should be looking into comparatively, I'd love the feedback! Thanks!!
grin.gif

I'm not a ford tech but we use a local ford for some contract work on our fleet. I can tell you almost every time I'm in their shop a transit is in the air with it's transmission on the bench torn down. I'm not sure about anything on those vans, if there are different engine and trans combos etc. we have a few in our fleet used as maintenance vehicles and I really don't like the way they drive or hold up. Ours are 6 cylinders, I imagine over 3 liters.

Edit: i didn't read that you are interested in the small connect. I was talking about the full sized ones. Sorry.

Last edited:
The 2.5 Duratec is an excellent engine. I have the 6F35 transmission in my Escape and have had no problems. It has 36,000 miles on it and I did a drain and fill on the transmission at 30,000 miles.
Note: The Fiesta and Focus have a Dual Clutch transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
I'm not a ford tech but we use a local ford for some contract work on our fleet. I can tell you almost every time I'm in their shop a transit is in the air with it's transmission on the bench torn down. I'm not sure about anything on those vans, if there are different engine and trans combos etc. we have a few in our fleet used as maintenance vehicles and I really don't like the way they drive or hold up. Ours are 6 cylinders, I imagine over 3 liters.

Edit: i didn't read that you are interested in the small connect. I was talking about the full sized ones. Sorry.

They are performing a recall to change from a guibo to a slip yoke or fixed yoke on the transmission. There's a recall and the guibo comes apart and takes out the fuel and brake lines.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12

They are performing a recall to change from a guibo to a slip yoke or fixed yoke on the transmission. There's a recall and the guibo comes apart and takes out the fuel and brake lines.

Good to know. I'll try to get ours into ford for their next service instead of keeping them in house so we can see if it applies to ours.

Is this referring to the smaller Ford Transit Connect vans or the larger full size Transit Vans? Also, I'm not sure I know about a guibo to a slip yoke - and what that means!
eek.gif
But perhaps you could enlighten me?

Originally Posted by MParr
The 2.5 Duratec is an excellent engine. I have the 6F35 transmission in my Escape and have had no problems. It has 36,000 miles on it and I did a drain and fill on the transmission at 30,000 miles.

Thank you MParr - this is helpful for sure. These vans aren't really easy to come by really... not the passenger version at least. Do you expect your Escape to continue to do well at higher mileage?

I have this combo (2.5 and 6F35) in my 2016 Escape. The 2.5 Ford Duratec is a Mazda designed (MZR) 4 cylinder that is an excellent engine. My 6F35 has been reliable but I changed the FF ATF at 16K and again at 36K and I plan on changing it every 30K from now on. It's easy to do and I feel it will help with longevity.* I think you will do fine if you find one that hasn't been abused...

*Ford recommends 150K ATF changes which I feel is ridiculous....

Originally Posted by pbm
I have this combo (2.5 and 6F35) in my 2016 Escape. The 2.5 Ford Duratec is a Mazda designed (MZR) 4 cylinder that is an excellent engine. My 6F35 has been reliable but I changed the FF ATF at 16K and again at 36K and I plan on changing it every 30K from now on. It's easy to do and I feel it will help with longevity.* I think you will do fine if you find one that hasn't been abused...

*Ford recommends 150K ATF changes which I feel is ridiculous....

Awesome! This is great to know. I will be sure to check on maintenance when looking at vehicles.

I had a 2010 Fusion with that drive train (since sold it) and my daughter has a 2012 with the same.

The engines are very reliable; easily 250k miles without breaking a sweat. Can go further with good care.
The trannies are not horrible. The early ones were prone to "flaring" shifts due to valve body design and programming. I believe that was corrected by 2012. Not a super stout transmission, but can last decently if well cared for. Don't believe the "lifetime fluid" hype; change the fluid ever 30-50k on this trans.

One of our members here (don't recall who) has more than 250k mi on his 2.5L Fusion. He had to get some head work done, but it was worth the money to fix it, and probably will get another 250k miles out of it!

Last edited:
My wife has the same engine/transmission setup in her '12 Escape. Not high mileage but still shifts very smooth. The engine is a bit weak for this application but it gets the job done. I have the same transmission in my Fusion and its still running very well almost 128k later. i change my trans fluid often. I think that is key on these transmissions.

Originally Posted by drh214
Is this referring to the smaller Ford Transit Connect vans or the larger full size Transit Vans? Also, I'm not sure I know about a guibo to a slip yoke - and what that means!
eek.gif
But perhaps you could enlighten me?

The transmission recalls and slip yoke conversion apply to the full sized vans.

The transit connects are solid little units. The first generation that made it to the US had a lot of issues with wheel bearings.

But the 2.5 engine is great. The transmission is pretty decent. They seem to like more frequent fluid changes than "lifetime"

MParr said:

Thank you MParr - this is helpful for sure. These vans aren't really easy to come by really... not the passenger version at least. Do you expect your Escape to continue to do well at higher mileage?

I think it will continue to perform well. I do recommend having the transmission drained and filled every 30,000 miles. If you do it yourself, use Motorcraft Mercon LV, Kendall Versa Trans LV or Phillips 66 Versa Trans LV. The Kendall and Phillips 66 are virtually the same as the Motorcraft. I don't know how long I will keep the Escape. I've been eyeing the new Ford Rangers.
Whatever car you decide on, DO NOT buy a Ford product with a DCT or a 1.5 Ecoboost 4 cylinder.

Last edited:
While our 2017 Explorer does not have the 2.5 it does have the 6F35 transmission. The Explorer is a heavier vehicle and the 2.3 EB engine is a lot more powerful than the 2.5. So far at ~47,000 miles it shifts just fine with NO issues. Since we intend this vehicle to last >200,000 miles I've been a n a l about the overall maintenance. I changed the factory fill at 12,000 miles and it was black and nasty. Did it again 10,000 miles later and it was less black and less nasty and I did another 10,000 mile change and the atf was mainly red with grey, a lot better than previously. I'll let the last change go to ~20,000 miles this time. It's so easy to change the atf on the 6F35, easier than doing an oil and filter change, and it cost me $20 for the 4 quarts that drained out and replaced. I do it "cold" and put in the same amount that drained out cold also. I've been using Mercon LV but the next change will be Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF that is licensed by Ford for use in Mercon LV transmissions. It cost me $5/quart, the same as the Mercon LV.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
While our 2017 Explorer does not have the 2.5 it does have the 6F35 transmission. The Explorer is a heavier vehicle and the 2.3 EB engine is a lot more powerful than the 2.5. So far at ~47,000 miles it shifts just fine with NO issues. Since we intend this vehicle to last >200,000 miles I've been a n a l about the overall maintenance. I changed the factory fill at 12,000 miles and it was black and nasty. Did it again 10,000 miles later and it was less black and less nasty and I did another 10,000 mile change and the atf was mainly red with grey, a lot better than previously. I'll let the last change go to ~20,000 miles this time. It's so easy to change the atf on the 6F35, easier than doing an oil and filter change, and it cost me $20 for the 4 quarts that drained out and replaced. I do it "cold" and put in the same amount that drained out cold also. I've been using Mercon LV but the next change will be Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF that is licensed by Ford for use in Mercon LV transmissions. It cost me $5/quart, the same as the Mercon LV.

Whimsey

@Whimsey - Question, how would I be able to check the transmission fluid changes have been maintained on a pre-purchase inspection? There's a few of the 2015/2016 Transit Connect Wagon (passenger) vans I'm looking at and seriously considering for purchase, most have somewhere between 40-80k miles on them. I suppose the mechanic who does the pre-purchase inspection would be able to tell how well the vehicle was maintained overall as well as check the fluid for color etc...???

@Whimsey - Question, how would I be able to check the transmission fluid changes have been maintained on a pre-purchase inspection? There's a few of the 2015/2016 Transit Connect Wagon (passenger) vans I'm looking at and seriously considering for purchase, most have somewhere between 40-80k miles on them. I suppose the mechanic who does the pre-purchase inspection would be able to tell how well the vehicle was maintained overall as well as check the fluid for color etc...???

As MolaKule says looking at the color of the ATF does not tell the complete story of it's condition. (MolaKule, if i misstated what you said please correct me). Besides there is no dip stick, at least on our Explorer, to examine the ATF. You would have to draw some ATF from the fill hole. Also Mercon LV in these 6F35 transmissions seems to turn dark grey rather quickly but it doesn't mean that it's shot. Ford "recommends" the factory fill is good to 150,000 miles. After doing a drain and fill of the factory fill at 12,000 miles and seeing how black and full of material it was I'd say good luck getting to 150,000 miles on the factory fill. If during the test drive it shifts good then I'd assume the transmission is ok. But as Ford recommends do 3 drain and fills within a short time of one another. With the 6F35 drain and fills are super easy to do. I drain mine "cold", usually after sitting overnight. What ever amount drains out I fill the same amount back in. I leave the replacement ATF with the vehicle so it's the same temp as what was drained out. I've purchased Ford Mercon LV from Rock Auto for less than $60/12 qts. Also AAP & AZ also offer occasional Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF specials for 2/$10. This Castrol is licensed by Ford. Check on UTube there is a poster that was a Ford Tech but is on his own now and he does really great informative videos. He has 2 on the 6D35 drain & fills. He's FordTechMakuloco on UTube.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by dnewton3
I had a 2010 Fusion with that drive train (since sold it) and my daughter has a 2012 with the same.

The engines are very reliable; easily 250k miles without breaking a sweat. Can go further with good care.
The trannies are not horrible. The early ones were prone to "flaring" shifts due to valve body design and programming. I believe that was corrected by 2012. Not a super stout transmission, but can last decently if well cared for. Don't believe the "lifetime fluid" hype; change the fluid ever 30-50k on this trans.

One of our members here (don't recall who) has more than 250k mi on his 2.5L Fusion. He had to get some head work done, but it was worth the money to fix it, and probably will get another 250k miles out of it!

I second this; Ford's 2.5L engine in the Ford Ranger has run 300-350k by some people. As for Ford's transmissions, I *always* use a severe duty service cycle for fluid changes.

I have not changed the fluid on a "severe service" a single time on Ford transmissions and even after a decade of service I haven't lost a transmission yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back