LQ4/LQ9 direct swap for LS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my username implies, I used to have a WS6 Trans-Am and I want to buy another one or a 4th gen Camaro as a project car when I graduate.

I already have my dream engine build planned out (cam, rods, lifters, springs, oil pump and other bits).

I was thinking I might as well get a junkyard LQ4 or LQ9 6.0 motor to build up instead of the car's own 5.7 LS1.

Since those engines are all in the same family, as long as I swap over the computer and load the proper tune on it, everything else will just bolt up right? Maybe with the exception of a few accessories.

Aren't LQ4 and LQ9 iron block engines? My 2001 Formula was front heavy as it was, not sure I'd want the extra weight in the snout.

Other than that, I believe those are "Lego" and you can swap out pieces from one to another. You'd have to run the LS1/LS6 intake on whatever you ended up with, the "mailbox" truck manifold will never fit. FEAD is way different so keep track of your parts off the LS1.
Maybe have a peek for a 2001 to 2005 LS6 from a Corvette or CTS-V? These are "plug and play" for an LS1 externally, so you could drop in about 400 HP.

I hope you have some rear axle upgrades planned for this as well, I was always waiting for mine to explode when it hooked up hard.

Unless you're going to supercharge it, I don't see a reason for an iron-block V8 in an F-body. An LS2 would be great.

Iron blocks are missing the inboard Alternator Bracket mounting boss, And the upper outboard bolt boss is not drilled & tapped.....
*You can drill & the upper outboard bolt boss & just run 2 bolts in the bracket IF you stay with the stock 105amp alternator & don't run any extra power hungry add-ons like a big Amplifier.

Have the F-body Delphi P01 PCM tuned to whatever engine you run.....Do not try to run a "Truck" P01 or P59. Ask me how I know!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yeah, but will it fit under the windshield?
cry.gif

The LS1 is aluminum, the 3800 is iron, so the V6 weighs more than the V8
crazy2.gif

As a reminder, make sure you do the basics stuff before installing it, because it's impossible to work on once the engine is installed
mad.gif

(spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc)

With the right set of headers & getting rid of the AIR system & tubes.....4th Gen LSx F-bodies are pretty easy to swap spark plugs on. Really not that bad once you unbolt the AIR diverter valves Risers & get them out of your way on a stock engine.

I always liked working on them as it pays decent hours for just about all operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back