DOT disallows Delta ban on Pitbulls as service animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Not all service dogs are that obvious. Off the top of my head, a service dog for an epileptic often just looks like an exceptionally well-behaved pet.

And my answer to that is very simple. If it's a service dog, it should have a tag or vest identifying it as such. If we don't have some basic rules, then every scatter-brain in the country is going to be toting their exotic pet around -and once again, the inmates will be running the asylum.

Ray

A service dog vest is easy to get. (I've seen them on Amazon!)

Not all service dogs are that obvious. Off the top of my head, a service dog for an epileptic often just looks like an exceptionally well-behaved pet.

And my answer to that is very simple. If it's a service dog, it should have a tag or vest identifying it as such. If we don't have some basic rules, then every scatter-brain in the country is going to be toting their exotic pet around -and once again, the inmates will be running the asylum.

Ray

A service dog vest is easy to get. (I've seen them on Amazon!)

Swell. Does Amazon sell valid certificates that a doctor signs-off that is registered to a State licensing body?

And just out of curiosity, what help does a dog render to someone having an epileptic seizure?

Once gain, this is all about using our wisdom, not about being a wise [censored].

It's common sense Ray that everyone participating in this thread should know.
21.gif
Man, this thread has about run it's course.

[Linked Image from k94life.org]

Originally Posted by doitmyself
It's common sense Ray that everyone participating in this thread should know.
21.gif
Man, this thread has about run it's course.

[Linked Image from k94life.org]

Excellent... There are seizure dogs. Learn something every day. If they are genuinely, medically indicated, then there's no problem. Like I said, I love dogs (and all animals really) but I don't necessarily think they should have the run of every common place in society, unless there's a medical reason. Just the same way people are taking advantage of handicap parking permits, people are taking advantage of "service animals". Someone took the word "animal" to mean just about any non-human being -and now they allow it on planes etc where they don't belong. That's the only point most people are trying to make here. The majority of people don't want the patients running the asylum.

PS: And for the record, I personally (and I think most others) don't mind if people bring their dogs to a lot of public places like hardware stores, pet stores -basically places that are not confined, not carpeted and do not have food/hygienic considerations. Simple basic common sense!

Last edited:
As a long-time pitbull owner, I know enough not to read a 9 page thread with "pit bull" in the title--I'm sure I'll just get annoyed. What I will mention though is that the seizure alert thing is very real--and very weird!

I have a 7 month old pit mix puppy and an epileptic older dog. The puppy is practically mute, and one day started staring at me and the other dog, barking her head off. The other dog looked completely fine to me. Within 20 seconds, he's flopped on his side, paddling, peeing himself, and doing the normal seizure thing. He's on meds, but still has one every 4-6 weeks or so. 5 weeks later, the exact same thing happens.

I have no clue how she figured out this is about to happen, because he looks completely normal up until 5 seconds before the seizure. It is actually pretty useful, since i can get him to a safe spot. Clearly this is some genetic instinct trait that's hard-wired, because she figured out immediately before she had even witnessed a seizure. Was really crazy to see first-hand. I had no clue this was a thing.

That said, I'm also of the mind that unless there's a real medical reason, no dog should be on board unless it can fit in its kennel under a seat. Home Depot? sure!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I smell a thread seizure coming on soon.
grin2.gif

Zee … you have to admit it's not fair to people having ESA Barn Owls scared to bring them onboard with the PB's roaming the cabin …
wink.gif

Seriously though … JOD said it well as an owner … can that animal ride in a certain sized carrier or not ?
We are all limited by size and/or weight or what dangerous goods ? as to what we carry on the plane …

I used to watch Lucky Dog with Brandon McMillan. A segment was about training a dog to smell an epileptic seizure . The training tool was the clothing worn when a seizure occurred. Impressive. Domestic dogs have been bred to cooperate with humans. It is an innate trait. My daughter's German Shepard plays me like a fiddle..
grin2.gif

I don't care what breed the dog is nor who trained it. I live in pain every day of my life. The business of "Support Animals" for every snowflake who wants to show-off their exotic pet at the airport etc, is out of control. To me, a service animal is a dog (not a goat or chicken or lizard or peacock etc) that can perform an ambulatory or sensory function that it's master cannot. When it comes to my view of a service dog, it should have a vest or viewable tag to notify others that the dog is allowed in places otherwise off limits -such as food courts, grocery stores, and other places where dogs are generally not permitted.

Today, I was at SAM's club. A lady with obvious physical handicap with a special wheelchair had a service dog. The dog had a bright green vest. The lady could point at many object on the shelves and the dog could grab it and give it to her to place in the cart she towed behind her. We were 10 feet away from the meat section. My dog would would be drooling all over the floor. -Not this dog though. -No problem with that at all -nobody in their right mind should be worried about such a service dog.

I was on an airplane once and the lady next to me had a guinea pig that had a funky smell. OK, whatever but, it did not belong on that flight...

This is not a complicated issue -not at all. Just common sense.

PS: And FWIW, I love animals and have dogs, frogs and birds. Left knee is made of metal. Right ankle is partially fused, right major hallux is teflon and titanium -and my right hip is going to be yanked in the next year or two. We need artificial heads so people can get their heads screwed-on right.

Well said. And the whole thing IS nothing but a common sense issue. But as we all know that commodity is becoming less and less apparent in today's society. Part of the problem is the owners of these animals are the one's who bring emotion into the equation, not the people who criticize, or limit the ownership of these aggressive breeds.

Insurance companies, like most corporations trying to produce a profit, could care less about emotion. The bottom line dictates to them these breeds attack with far more frequency and damage. Which is why most of them will not write a homeowners liability policy if the property owner has one. It's not because they stain the furniture or carpet with more frequency.

I'm surprised to see this thread still open.

We have a moderator that'll lock health or lawyer related threads almost immediately, but let this thing run its course for nearly 10 pages. Unbelievable.

The double standards in the OT sub forum is strong with this one.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

We have a moderator that'll lock health or lawyer related threads almost immediately, but let this thing run its course for nearly 10 pages. Unbelievable.

So, let me get this straight, you WANT this thread to be locked?

Originally Posted by wag123

So, let me get this straight, you WANT this thread to be locked?

Maybe he is just pointing out the double standard. I've always felt somewhat cheated when threads were locked especially when they don't explicitly violate the terms. It's even worse when the whole thread is deleted. It's a disincentive to post when you know it can be locked or deleted randomly. I'm not sure I've ever really encountered a thread where I felt it needed to be locked/deleted.

I'm not seeing any reason for this thread to be locked. Why? It has not gone religious or political. That said, there is somewhat of a double standard involving threads around here. Depending on who is moderating it.

^^^ Well - what about the post above ^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back