Wht do people with labor intensive jobs lay on their back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this all the time, workers laying on the grass beneath an oak tree somewhere. Is it good for you r back to do this? Are they trying to decompress it from being on their feet all day?

Just curious as to the reasoning. I've done it a couple times, but then the customer comes out an asks if you're okay. Lol

Don't tell me you've never tried it before. It's the best feeling ever. Also combined with a quick nap. Then those 30 minutes go by pretty quick.

I can tell you this,
Working in a cramped environment like an M1A2 for hours on end in the Texas heat, lifting up various armored (heavy) access plates, turning wrenches on them, etc there was nothing better than finally stretching out on the thing. I'd pop my back just leaning against the vehicle.

I missed many lunches just because napping was worth more than food while working and operating those things. Lol

In Boy Scouts we used to do some pretty long hikes with packs on, then camp at trails end. At break time we'd take off our boots, lie on our backs and elevate our feet against a tree. Pure heaven. A quick change into dry socks, boots back on and hit the trail again. Good times!

Being on you feet for long periods of time can be rough on your back. Yeah, there is something to the "Teeter Hang Up" thing. I have one and use it daily.

I think laying on one's back after working in the heat is better for cooling off...you can get your limbs spread out and the sweat seems to evaporate off better.
When I'm cold, I want to lay on my side and scrunch together a little to feel warmer….on the back and splayed out to feel cooler in the heat.
Laying on my back is not good FOR my back, though...I had to learn to sleep on my side years ago when I had sciatica trouble.
Haven't had an issue with that for many years, but it's still very hard for me to fall asleep on my back now...and I snore badly if I roll over onto it while I'm sleeping. I notice the same thing with my wife.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
I can tell you this,
Working in a cramped environment like an M1A2 for hours on end in the Texas heat, lifting up various armored (heavy) access plates, turning wrenches on them, etc there was nothing better than finally stretching out on the thing. I'd pop my back just leaning against the vehicle.
I missed many lunches just because napping was worth more than food while working and operating those things. Lol

A tanker!!
My dad was in the 2nd Armored way back in WWII, not a tanker himself but a "halftracker" in the 41st Armored Infantry....he got wounded during the breakout from Normandy (not seriously) and took part in the battle at Celles against the 2nd Panzer to stop The Bulge from getting any bigger.
I have had a lifetime interest in armor as a result.
Did you guys have to take special precautions with the rounds using depleted uranium penetrators, or were they no big deal?
I remember you posting that you were still recovering from the aftermath of battle, hope things are going well...best of luck to you!

We have chiggers here. There is no lying on the back in the grass for me. There is also some no seeum that lives in oak trees. So no lying on the back under an oak under any circumstances.

Rod

I worked as a laborer for several years, up at 4:30, at work by 6AM for a 10-12hr day of manual demolition 5 days a week. Having a half hour to go horizontal half way through the day is about the best thing in the world, for me it didn't matter if it was on grass or concrete. I'd stretch out, prop my feet up on my lunch box and roll my safety vest up like a pillow, 20 minutes of that and 10 more to eat a sandwich and I was good to go for the rest of the day.

Originally Posted by Dave9
You should go tell them that you disapprove.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back