Fram XG7317 vs XG3593A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've got an RSX that uses the XG7317 for it's 2L DOHC engines.
I've got a Subaru that uses the XG3593A, it's an EJ25 SOHC.

Now the RSX, if I go back to a 2K S2k, same engine, it specifies the XG3593A.

The filters...

The 3593A is larger with a 12Psi bypass, 3.4"H x 3" OD. 310psi burst with 3 micron rating, weighs 272g. Wix says their versions flow 9-11GPM.

The 7317 is smaller with a 9-15Psi bypass, 3.5"H x 2.67" OD. 350psi burst with 3 micron rating, weighs 118g. Wix says their versions flow 9-11GPM.

Both are M20x1.5... The weight difference between them is very noticeable in the hand, so obviously the 3593A has a lot more media, but does that media come at a cost to flow but Wix specs say different.

Should I not use the XG3593A on the RSX? I've always heard that Subies used high bypass reliefs, so maybe there's a better filter for the Subie.

On the XG3593A I usually run 2 oil changes per filter, I change usually in the Spring and Fall, sooner if the mileage trips. 90% highway so synthetic high mileage stuff gets 10,000km changes.

Oh hey... Amazon says the XG7317 is coming from China now... hmm

Is their a better choice for a filter on either or that fits both?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Wix, lists Bypass on both at 8-11PSI. But the bigger guy has a burst rating of 280Psi vs 363Psi

Last edited:
How did you come up with the 3 micron rating?
I would cut open the used ones, measure the media surface and use the one with more surface for both (assuming they fit).

Sounds like you've looked up all the particulars and the filters are very similar. If the rubber o-ring and threads are the same you could use it...question is would you want to and would it hurt anything? Head scratcher and insert BITOG debate here...bottom line is there's no data.

I would run the correct filter.

Originally Posted by gamefoo21

I'll believe it when I see "Made in China" printed on the can.

I just went to Amazon and searched the XG7317 listing for "China" and found stupid comments about it from 2016.
smirk2.gif
It's not made in China.

And have no idea where the " 3 micron" info came from.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
How did you come up with the 3 micron rating?
I would cut open the used ones, measure the media surface and use the one with more surface for both (assuming they fit).

Yanked it from the spec data that Rockauto gives out under info.

Pulled the weight data from Amazon.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Sounds like you've looked up all the particulars and the filters are very similar. If the rubber o-ring and threads are the same you could use it...question is would you want to and would it hurt anything? Head scratcher and insert BITOG debate here...bottom line is there's no data.

I would run the correct filter.

I was just curious more than anything, because I'm sitting on a small stock pile of the XG3593A filters. I want to use them on the RSX.

Likewise if there's a good reason, when I need more, I could just run the XG7317 on both. I have test fit, and the 3593a fits on the RSX without any issue.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I'll believe it when I see "Made in China" printed on the can.

I just went to Amazon and searched the XG7317 listing for "China" and found stupid comments about it from 2016.
smirk2.gif
It's not made in China.

Amazon.ca product info:

Product information
Brand Fram
Model XG7317
Product Dimensions 7.6 x 7.6 x 9.2 cm
Origin China
Item model number XG7317
Manufacturer Part Number XG7317
OEM Part Number XG7317
Additional Information
ASIN: B000C33MI2
Customer Reviews: 4.9 out of 5 stars 39Reviews
Best Sellers Rank: 106
Shipping Weight: 118 g
Date First Available: Nov 6 2014

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
If you want a really large (not) filter that will fit, look at the FRAM 6607 series.
grin2.gif
crazy2.gif

Bah then I should go actually bigger with the XG9688!

grin2.gif

I was just curious more than anything, because I'm sitting on a small stock pile of the XG3593A filters. I want to use them on the RSX.
I have test fit, and the 3593a fits on the RSX without any issue.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Since the XG3593A fits and you have a stockpile, the choice is obvious. If the bypass valve has a spring, that's a plus.
The Fram Ultras had a 99% efficiency at 20 micron last time I checked.

That's a good point, and I'm just a guy who likes to simplify his oil filter stock pile.

I might just switch to running them on XG7317s after for both the Sub and the RSX if it still remains. Interestingly enough the parents Hyundai uses the XG3593A too.

Originally Posted by malibuguy79
Rsx and s2000 have different engines

I'm sorry, you are correct, but they look eerily similar. Like the F20 is the longitudinal version of the transverse K20.

But they are different families yes.

Last edited:
I interchange both types of filters (7317 & 3593A, I buy whichever I can get cheaper) on my Honda & Nissan without issue. I've treated both filters as the same thing for 20+ years on a bunch of different vehicles and have never had a bit of trouble.

I've cut both open many times, in my experience the 3593A probably has a bit more media surface area, but the difference is fairly negligible. While the 3593A is wider, the 7317 is a smidge longer... Exact dimensions vary by brand, I've seen some brands (Hastings) where the 7317 is a fair bit longer than the 3593A, in that case the former wins.

If you want to go big, try a PH3985-- fits in place of both 7317 & 3593A, similar bypass rating and all that jazz.

I prefer the 3593A size filters. I've run them on my old 91 Miata, the wifes recently dead (crash) 2000 Accord and both of my J Series cars. Never a problem.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I interchange both types of filters (7317 & 3593A, I buy whichever I can get cheaper) on my Honda & Nissan without issue. I've treated both filters as the same thing for 20+ years on a bunch of different vehicles and have never had a bit of trouble.

I've cut both open many times, in my experience the 3593A probably has a bit more media surface area, but the difference is fairly negligible. While the 3593A is wider, the 7317 is a smidge longer... Exact dimensions vary by brand, I've seen some brands (Hastings) where the 7317 is a fair bit longer than the 3593A, in that case the former wins.

If you want to go big, try a PH3985-- fits in place of both 7317 & 3593A, similar bypass rating and all that jazz.

I'm just trying to figure out why the XG3593A is so much heavier than the XG7317.

I'll put the 3985 series on the list to watch for. Thanks for letting me know.

Have you noticed any change in VTEC response with the 3593A vs the 7317?

Originally Posted by dnewton3
OP - You're way over-thinking this.
I realize that's the BITOG way, but seriously ...

Maybe maybe, but I found out some information and different filter sizes.

I'd say it's worse that I put XG3600 filters on Briggs Twins, and I run them for about 200hours. 4x the 50hrs the book says for the crappy BS filter.

I just wasn't sure if the VTEC system was overly fussy about the oil filter. I know certain makes have issues with oil pumps that are sized just barely large enough to support the base engine/equipment. Add to much extra system volume and the pump can't flow enough.

So I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
I just wasn't sure if the VTEC system was overly fussy about the oil filter. I know certain makes have issues with oil pumps that are sized just barely large enough to support the base engine/equipment. Add to much extra system volume and the pump can't flow enough.

Positive displacement oil pumps don't care how small or big the oil filter is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back