Autozone misinformation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NISMO_JUNKY
Also asked him if I could extend the OCI a bit with full synthetic or would that count against the warranty and he said the mileage interval had to stay the same.

His statement on that is correct. Key part being for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
spreading of old wives' tales continues.

Exactly....Have heard it myself

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Learned a long time ago to just look up my own part numbers on AZs (or whoever's) website and just come in with part numbers-there's a lot fewer screwups that way, unless I do it!

I used to work at Champion Auto Stores. We looked everything up in paper catalogs. You could find a lot more information in those catalogs than you could in the e-catalogs.

Sounds like a little like a Mr. Know-it-all who actually didn't have the answer when it came to specifics. I'll try not to be judgmental lest some fingers point back at me... No, I really do try to qualify when I don't have enough information but I might know something, Mr. Know-it-all runs in the family here too... I like to say I'm not Mr. Know-it-all but I am the son of Mr. Know-it-all.

Every auto parts store in this city has employees who have told customers the same thing. I have not witnessed a employee explain why.

Originally Posted by 80Boxcar
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Learned a long time ago to just look up my own part numbers on AZs (or whoever's) website and just come in with part numbers-there's a lot fewer screwups that way, unless I do it!

I used to work at Champion Auto Stores. We looked everything up in paper catalogs. You could find a lot more information in those catalogs than you could in the e-catalogs.

I miss the days of paper catalogs. Reminds me of the Phonolog catalog that you'd use to look up and order records at the music stores.

I had a coworker tell me the same thing about synthetic, and no explanation. Realize he's a mechanic who actually does good work and even heavy line. Few and far between are very educated about motor oil even though they may actually have plenty of expertise in vehicles. One time I switched to conventional PYB for 3000 miles just for a little clean up, and I went back to synthetic for extended intervals of 7500 miles. I'm sure it did more good than harm.

Makes me really appreciate my local Auto Value where the owner is a wealth of information and knows everything about everything. OIl? He recommends following the manual and sells more Wolf's Head than anything. I've run tons of that stuff without issue.

I had an AutoZone employee tell me the same thing about not switching back & forth between dino & syn oils. The employee(s) there all told me that this is what they learn in their training.

So, I showed them this video on their own computer from their own AutoZone youtube video that say explicitly that you can do exactly what their training tells the employees not to do, which is mix and change back & forth between dino & syn oils. The comment is at ~4:00 min.

The employees were blown away and called over there store manager to watch the video. Jaws dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrTG_uxa8y4

My guess is most of these store employees don't go through any kind of product training, or at least not in any great detail

They do NOT go through ANY training whatsoever.

Well - - Sales training, Yes.

Technical training?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
My guess is most of these store employees don't go through any kind of product training, or at least not in any great detail

They do NOT go through ANY training whatsoever.

Well - - Sales training, Yes.

Technical training?
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

They get the same training Macy's and Dillard's employees get. How to use the POS (point of sale system aka cash register).
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
Every auto parts store in this city has employees who have told customers the same thing. I have not witnessed a employee explain why.

They don't want people going back to the cheap stuff.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back