2016 Mazda6: no belt replacement interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the maintenance schedule for my car and noticed Mazda doesn't have a recommendation for replacing the serpentine belt. They just recommend inspecting it every so often. That seems imprudent to me.

Interestingly, they recommend 10 years/120k miles for coolant but only 75k for plugs.

gates makes a belt wear check tool you can use on a ribbed belt.

You can also lightly rest a fingtertip on the running belt and feel for high spots.

UD

I can't think of a recent car with an interval, just inspection. Newer belts are hard to condemn due to the rubber compound so removal to inspect for hairline cracks or a wear indicator are the only way.

Don't know of any manufacturer that specifies anything other than inspection intervals. Same for hoses, possibly.

I usually do them at 100k since most other stuff, coolant/plugs/etc..., are done then.

EPDM last much longer but also is not as obvious when its about to fail.

They don;t recommend changes as much now as it makes them look bad when sites/magazines write out "cost of ownership" estimates and use the replacement schedule as proof. So a LOT more "inspect" then change schedule.

its not a timing belt so its not real important, but a simple look see works!

Originally Posted by Elkins45

Interestingly, they recommend 10 years/120k miles for coolant but only 75k for plugs.

Apples and oranges...

I certainly won't go 10yrs between looking at my coolant system or 75k miles without pulling a plug or two for inspection...I can see some (people) see *10yrs* in their owners manual on the day they purchase and never ever get under the hood. It's a shame...a lot of problems can be detected/prevented with regular inspection. Yes the OM says (I)nspect but how many really do? My suspicion is the avg owner looks for the (R) and commits that to memory rather than the (I).

(you shouldn't count on the qwikie lube guy to alert you of issues; nobody will care more about your car than you!)

Last edited:
I did mine at around 100K miles. There were some cracks. I mostly wanted to replace the tensioner, which was leaking fluid. It was an interesting belt change. I had the main serpentine belt, which was pretty normal, and then the stretch belt for the water pump. That was my first time changing one of those and I think it's cool and relatively easy to change.

I have a 2012 Mazda3 with the Skyactiv engine.

I can't find a dipstick for the power steering either, and the manual doesn't mention it at all. Sealed? Electric?

Originally Posted by HangFire
Same as brakes on a Toyota. Inspect often, replace only as needed.

My Corolla still had the same rear shoes when I sold it at 178K. They appeared unchanged from the first time I inspected them.

Originally Posted by 50jeffrey
Post-2015, Mazda went to electric assist for the steering, hence no p/s pump/belt.

My 2012 Mazda has hydraulic power steering but uses and electric pump rather than a belt driven pump. Is that what you are talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back