Confused, what oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need advice on what to do and use next.

I just obtained my first Diesel for the farm & ranch. It's a Case 580K phase3 backhoe running the Cummins 4-cylinder with turbo, hour meter stuck at 3600hrs but engine runs great. Oil level is at top of add zone and very black. The PO didn't run it and knows little about it's history. Should I have the oil tested before I add more or just service it then do an analysis after xxxx Hours?

But what do I change it to. I've read it needs API CE 10w-30 but that's old specs and all the new oil types seem made for pickups with emission stuff have me confused.

Thanks

Straight from the API guide...

CI-4 - Current
Introduced in 2002. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2004 exhaust emission standards implemented in 2002. CI-4 oils are formulated to sustain engine durability where exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is used and are
intended for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4,
CG-4, and CH-4 oils. Some CI-4 oils may also qualify for the CI-4 PLUS designation.

API oil guide

Last edited:
Thanks,
But if I can't find CI-4 locally, then I assume I can just move to more recent types like CJ-4 or CK-4 that are found locally?

I guess I better find what Sulfur content fuel I'll be using too and match the oil to it, right?

Changing it first, was my thought but wanted to ask for confirmation. So after how many hours would be a good time to get an analysis?

Change oil

Use Shell Rotella T6 in 5W-40, or it's hard to find brother, 0W-40

Change after 50 hours, then every 200 hours.

Get a new hour meter...

Mattwithcats suggested some good oil and new filter

And change the meter so you can change oil without guesswork

1) do not overthink this
2) go right to your local farm supply store or WM and get some house brand 15w-40 and a filter (Wix, Fram, etc)
3) pick up a new hour meter; Napa, web, wherever (does not need to be an exact fit; just get something you can wire 12v to a hot lead so it runs when the ignition is on)
4) OFCI every 200 hours or so

Originally Posted by BelAir
Changing it first, was my thought but wanted to ask for confirmation. So after how many hours would be a good time to get an analysis?

As others have stated, some Rotella or a house brand 5w-40 or 15w-40 would work well.
Run a 50 hour OCI and dump it. Do not get an analysis on this short OCI because it will be contaminated with residuals from the unknown oil and the analysis will be meaningless.
Refill with Rotella or house brand 5w or 15w-40 and run 200 hours. Get an analysis of the 200 hour oil and see where you stand.

Good luck!!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back