Sealing Redundant Door

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad would just plastic wrap it off and seal the edges with a staple gun.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I don't mind the door looking like a door, so the knob can stay.

Was just thinking the plastic might do better not bulging out at the knob.

No, you're absolutely right. I didn't get what you meant until after I replied. I didn't realize the film came in THAT large of a size!!!

Use backer rod (closed cell polyethylene foam, also called filler rope) to fill any wide gaps. It comes in diameters from 1/4" to 1 1/2". Since you have a steel door, don't use caulk, use silicone sealer. You can use clear but you can also buy it in several different colors to match the color of the door or trim. Apply it to the perimeter of the outside of the door.
The beauty of sealing the door this way is... It is cheap, it is easy, and it can be undone at a later date.

Camper shell foam tape from the parts store? It's a pretty dense foam and obviously weather resistant. Might have to double up in spots to fill 1/2" gaps, but if it's going to be closed for years you should be able to make it work. If it doesn't work, you're not out a lot of money or time.

Originally Posted by wag123
Use backer rod (closed cell polyethylene foam, also called filler rope) to fill any wide gaps. It comes in diameters from 1/4" to 1 1/2". Since you have a steel door, don't use caulk, use silicone sealer. You can use clear but you can also buy it in several different colors to match the color of the door or trim. Apply it to the perimeter of the outside of the door.
The beauty of sealing the door this way is... It is cheap, it is easy, and it can be undone at a later date.

I think this is what I'll be doing. Thanks again for everyone's input!

I would tear an old towel or ?. Anything matching color? Tear into strips fold at least once and pack it into gaps Use a table knife or a wide blade Thin stiff . Just go around the whole door... That would be almost free. but for time. Bargain tubes of shower caulk. Plans may change.I wouldn't do anything irreversible.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
I would tear an old towel or ?. Anything matching color? Tear into strips fold at least once and pack it into gaps Use a table knife or a wide blade Thin stiff . Just go around the whole door... That would be almost free. but for time. Bargain tubes of shower caulk. Plans may change.I wouldn't do anything irreversible.
grin2.gif

That's not a bad idea, but I'd worry about mold buildup with that setup.

I haven't had the time, but my plan is to stuff closed-cell foam backing into the gaps and fill with clear silicone I already have on hand. If I stuff the gaps well enough, maybe I'll be able to get through the whole job without having to buy a second tube, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back