6.7 powerstroke cab off repair work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted hours previously. 25000 hours on first engine with 17000 idle hours and 226,000 city miles on ODO. Second one had this coolant problem from new. This one has about 3500 hours. They've been limping it along for 10 months. They put apProximately 4000 hours per year some trucks a little more across the fleet

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Your a better man than I am. No way would I want to do that. Its absolutely disgusting how complicated things have become.

While I'm not speaking for mattd & working on upfitted vehicles is a PITA......Once you pull a cab on a Ford truck, You will wonder why you did half the stuff you used to do with the cab on!! The F150's are even easier with their studded body mounts.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by Chris142
Your a better man than I am. No way would I want to do that. Its absolutely disgusting how complicated things have become.

While I'm not speaking for mattd & working on upfitted vehicles is a PITA......Once you pull a cab on a Ford truck, You will wonder why you did half the stuff you used to do with the cab on!! The F150's are even easier with their studded body mounts.

The lift I got is brand new I didn't have the option of pulling the cab when I put the engine in 10 months ago. This is far easier even dealing with the obsene amount of wiring and other equipment. At my old job I pulled the cab for every repair that warranted it. If I have the option I always will it is far quicker and easier on your body! The rescue equipment makes it longer to pull but still 100% worth it. As I said I am 9 hours into a 35 hour job and half done. And I don't ache!!

Last edited:
Did I understand correctly ? The reason for the overhaul is a blown head gasket ? You think the delete & tune caused it ?

Originally Posted by nthach
Why would a city want to do a delete and tune, especially since goverment agencies are no more exempt from emissions laws as common citizens?

Why WOULDN'T they?

You want your ambulance to go into "limp mode" while on your way to the hospital with a life-threatening condition?

Or the fire truck to go into "limp mode" on the way to your house?

One of our customers is the maintenance department of our city owned / operated airport . When they have their trucks away from the terminal , they pretty much leave the engines idling , to run the flashing lights .

Not sure I would like to purchase one of those trucks on the 2nd hand market .

Originally Posted by Donald
I read in some cities they idle the ambulance 24x7 and that plays havoc with some of the things, EGR I think.

Yes it does. One of the nice things about the 6.7, some would disagree, is there are 2 radiators. One is for the normal engine coolant and the other is for the water to air intercooler and EGR cooler. Each side of the radiator has their own set of thermostats.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Did I understand correctly ? The reason for the overhaul is a blown head gasket ? You think the delete & tune caused it ?

The tune is very mild about 60 hp I may have had some factor however the guys that drive the truck drive it hard (lead feet) and it had some poor workmanship from the reman plant.

Originally Posted by Donald
I read in some cities they idle the ambulance 24x7 and that plays havoc with some of the things, EGR I think.

All of the cities trucks run between 20-24 hours per day.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Yes it does. One of the nice things about the 6.7, some would disagree, is there are 2 radiators. One is for the normal engine coolant and the other is for the water to air intercooler and EGR cooler. Each side of the radiator has their own set of thermostats.

Actually sounds like a sound design decision on Ford's part - keeps the thermal load down on the main engine cooling loop and in theory keeping the EGR cooling loop separate from the engine cooling loop also prevents the chances of a bad EGR cooler mucking the rest of the works.

I know the truck is past it at this point but in addition to an oil cooler for the 6.7, Bullet Proof Diesel is about to come out with an EGR cooler insert for the 6.7.

Didn't get any more pics of the gaskets was swamped today working on something else hopefully get some more tomorrow

Are there any lessons to be learned or suggestions for a 6.7 PSD that is driven in a normal manner? Any BulletProof add-ons I should consider? Mine is all stock with only a bypass oil filter added on. I drive it like I have to pay for any repairs (and I do).

They typically very reliable. The late model ones (17+) seem to have greater fuel dilution issues and more frequent regens compared to the previous generation. We have a 2013 6.7 that is 100% stock with all emissions and nothing has ever been touched. No sensors replaced, original EGR cooler, HPFP, injectors, everything. It has 19500 hours on it. They are serviced every 4-450 hours. I'm sure it's a matter of time until something breaks, though.

Pay attention for radiator end tank leaks mishimoto radiators are nice but expensive replacements., use a high quality oil, I also suggest optilube fuel additives. They will help keep the fuel system lubricated. I also highly recommend OEM fuel filters only.

Last edited:
Here are the gaskets. The failures were all on the passenger bank other than one tiny spot on the drivers bank. It wasn't even really worth noting.

2704FD90-6414-4871-902D-78A429C938D9.jpeg

2041D05A-353B-4451-852F-13A6C99B7D2C.jpeg

E26D64DB-29D7-46E9-A4D9-AE1479EAE2EE.jpeg

D413766B-F953-430D-A08F-1F8475EEFF54.jpeg

347A761B-4116-4759-997F-DFD30CD98539.jpeg

C8181D1F-2203-4AD5-837C-435D2228DD23.jpeg

Originally Posted by mattd
Here are the gaskets. The failures were all on the passenger bank other than one tiny spot on the drivers bank. It wasn't even really worth noting.

What failures is that pic showing?

Look for the spots of missing sealant between the fire ring and the water jacket

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back