Amsoil Metal Protector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dropped by the locksmith yesterday. I could not get the key all the way into the door lock of my 2008 Burb. Since it's the only manual lock on the vehicle I thought I should get it functional again. Usually I use the fob to open the door and hadn't used the key in a long time.

I firstly gave it a shot of GM Teflon lube ( the one the owners manual suggests.] No luck. Took it to the locksmith and he gave it a shot of Amsoil Metal Protector, his go-to lock spray. He then worked a metal pick inside the lock, gave it another shot and the key went in easy and unlocked the door. He mentioned all the de-icing stuff they use on the roads in the winter cruds up the locks. It's made worse when only the fob is used to unlock the door.

Maybe the pick was the trick, but I thought I'd post the spray for all the Amsoil fan boys out there. Enjoy!

09BF55EE-7806-4ED2-816E-E25114D7B3B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Id like to try it on my 07 Corolla, locks freeze constantly in winter. Ive tried everything with little success. Everytime temps go from + to - the locks dont work.

Originally Posted by Donald
Who uses a key on a car door lock?

People that are practical. It might occur someday that the "dumb" key has to be used. Some nonfunctional Darwin types might have to call a locksmith if they drop their key fob in some water. I'd prefer to simply twist the key in the lock and be on my way.

I've only had issues with frozen door lock cylinders if I make the mistake of using a drive through car wash on well-below-freezing days. Regardless, I give my locks a yearly spritz of Fluid Film. Now, the little locking plug for the spare tire winch is another story. NOTHING I do can keep it rotational except frequent use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back