What are these two things in the bumper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Got this Volvo last month with two thin black electronic things in the bumper. What are they? Radar detector? Radar jammer? Lights? Toll booth pass?

My guess is radar for autonomous emergency braking/pedestrian detection/smart cruise control? If you don't have the owners manual try to download it and see if vehicle has any of these features.

You need to put in arrow in the picture as to what you are questioning.

I bet they are radar for various uses, like cruise control, automatic braking, etc.

Bumpers like this that use to cost a few hundred to replace now cost thousands with sensors, cameras, etc built into them.

First guess would be aftermarket LED accent strips. Turn all you lights on and see if they light up.

You can also look at the wiring, if all they have is a positive and negative power feed, again probably lights even if the owner disconnected them because a police stop caused a hassle about them. Then again it could be that they just burnt out, aftermarket LED lighting tends to do that, seldom gets anywhere near the expected lifespan.

Laser jammers. Keep em and use em, or sell them. They should still fetch some amount of money because jammers aren't cheap.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Got this Volvo last month with two thin black electronic things in the bumper. What are they? Radar detector? Radar jammer? Lights? Toll booth pass?

You should probably look them over closely. Follow any wires, look for any labels. Then do a quick internet search and you'll probably find your definitive answer.

Its a Swedish Monolith. Basically, its a time machine that teleports you in time, a different type of device built for CAFE.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Its a Swedish Monolith. Basically, its a time machine that teleports you in time, a different type of device built for CAFE.

That's what I was thinking. Much better fuel mileage because your fuel tank remains the same as you leap forward in time. One slight problem though, is turning around and getting back to the same place you came from. Once they overcome that minor causality issue, the CAFE standards will be fully met.

Ray

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

That's what I was thinking. Much better fuel mileage because your fuel tank remains the same as you leap forward in time. One slight problem though, is turning around and getting back to the same place you came from. Once they overcome that minor causality issue, the CAFE standards will be fully met.

Ray

When the speed limits in the USA were reduced and the Feds told Doc that 88MPH was unsafe, the Sweds began working on the Monolith. It appears they have all the bugs worked out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back