Shell Gas Truck oil...Im giving it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by burla
voa truck and gas is posted, this was multi vehicle in 2017, glowing difference is moly.. if I'm running anything in an eco boost, it will have a good dose of moly.

HDEOs customarily lack moly.

I'd rather have no moly than a oil that can't stay in grade...

Same here. Besides, in concentrations we see in most motor oils, it's a friction modifier and not at anti-wear levels. If I were running a turbo and were interested in "fine tuning" an oil selection (which is not to say that any specified oil is insufficient), I'd be interested in HTHS over any specific additive, particularly a friction modifier.

I am no scientist or engineer...just a regular Joe providing my personal unscientific observations.

That said the Shell Gas Truck is giving me .5 to 1 mpg lower on my truck. It is thicker than most other 5w30s...I have 3500 more miles to go before I can be more conclusive. Just an observation...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
I am no scientist or engineer...just a regular Joe providing my personal unscientific observations.

That said the Shell Gas Truck is giving me .5 to 1 mpg lower on my truck. It is thicker than most other 5w30s...I have 3500 more miles to go before I can be more conclusive. Just an observation...

This is well within driving styles differences. I have switched to a very thick non-rc oil and my mpg actually increased. Varying driving styles affect much more the mpg than the oil.
I got some questions answered with google and emailed Shell Tech Support. Why not T6 5W40 for your vehicle? It might damage the cat because of phosphorus. Its really designed for diesel engines. Email sent to Shell technical.

In a Subaru thread he talked about his shearing with Valvoline 5W30 full synthetic. So basically Valvoline and Mobil 1 5w30s going to shear to 5w20 weights.

I have tried Mobil Super Synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum and QSUD on the same engine and they ALL sheared to a 20 grade. Rotella MV is the only one (so far) that stayed well within a 30 grade.

TGDI are very hard on oil. Even the Rotella Gas Truck uoa that I posted earlier sheared down to a 20 grade.

You'll need more than that. That number is within the margin of error and Rotella Gas Truck is ILSAC rated with HTHS almost identical to every other ILSAC lube of the same grade out there. You want thicker, try what I'm using, and it makes no measurable difference outside a lab.

Just wanted to put this note in the thread for anyone who comes upon it.

Shell Rotella T6 5W40 is designed for diesel engines only. If you email Shell Technical they will email you back stating that T6 5W40 will be bad for your catalytic converter in a gasoline engine.

Shell Rotella T6 5W30 MultiVehicle is designed for both diesel and gasoline engines and carries approvals like AP SN. However it doesnt carry approvals like Ford or GM Dexos or AP SN Plus. Here are the approvals MultiVehicle carries.

[Linked Image]

Shell Rotella Gas Truck carries GM Dexos, AP SN Plus and Ford. Here are the approvals Shell Gas Truck carries.

[Linked Image]

Email sent to Shell Technical asking if I can use Shell T6
MultiVehicle 5W30 in my truck...my truck is a Ecoboost turbo engine.

Last edited:
For reference here is the VOAs found on other threads...

Shell Gas Truck 5W30
[Linked Image]

Shell Rotella T6 5W30 MultiVehicle
[Linked Image]

On a side note, just watched a video this morning and it looks like tfltruck now has a sponsorship from rotella and promoting this oil

Just wanted to put this note in the thread for anyone who comes upon it.

Shell Rotella T6 5W40 is designed for diesel engines only. If you email Shell Technical they will email you back stating that T6 5W40 will be bad for your catalytic converter in a gasoline engine.

Shell Rotella T6 5W30 MultiVehicle is designed for both diesel and gasoline engines and carries approvals like AP SN. However it doesnt carry approvals like Ford or GM Dexos or AP SN Plus. Here are the approvals MultiVehicle carries.

[Linked Image]

Shell Rotella Gas Truck carries GM Dexos, AP SN Plus and Ford. Here are the approvals Shell Gas Truck carries.

[Linked Image]

Email sent to Shell Technical asking if I can use Shell T6
MultiVehicle 5W30 in my truck...my truck is a Ecoboost turbo engine.

It is SN PLUS! TDS hasn't been updated yet but if you search on API website you'll see the certification.

Shell might not recommend this oil if ford requires Ressource Conserving oil to meet CAFE. Mind you this is only affects mpg and nothing else. You wont be able to measure mpg difference outside of lab, I didn't see a change at all.

I did a little more research and found these posts. I tried looking it up on API website but I have no idea where to look on it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So reading between the lines, what this oil suggests to me is that PP/PUP lack the anti-oxidants necessary for certain higher demanding applications (primarily longer drain intervals). All of the oils on the market today trounce the Seq IVA wear test as they all claimed "unsurpassed wear protection based in SEQ IVA". In the Q&A section, they flat out say the TSUV oils have more AO's. I've said before that this could be why Shell/Pennzoil don't market PP/PUP for longer drain intervals. This is what separates the Mobil 1 AP/EP from the rest of the crowd and why you're paying a premium for an oil designed for longer OCI's. With that said however, I'd have no issues at all running any Shell product as I know they are very good quality.

Originally Posted by buster
So reading between the lines, what this oil suggests to me is that PP/PUP lack the anti-oxidants necessary for certain higher demanding applications (primarily longer drain intervals). All of the oils on the market today trounce the Seq IVA wear test as they all claimed "unsurpassed wear protection based in SEQ IVA". In the Q&A section, they flat out say the TSUV oils have more AO's. I've said before that this could be why Shell/Pennzoil don't market PP/PUP for longer drain intervals. This is what separates the Mobil 1 AP/EP from the rest of the crowd and why you're paying a premium for an oil designed for longer OCI's. With that said however, I'd have no issues at all running any Shell product as I know they are very good quality.

I am of the opinion that oil is oil and labels like "extended performance" are just marketing gimmicks just like the "gas truck" label is. I think Shell is most interested in producing a simple line of products that has the widest appeal per individual product so to minimize overproduction. I mentioned in another thread that Mobil produces six different 0w-20 oils and I just don't believe there is much difference between any of them, I think RGT 0W-20 is marketed to match up with most if not all six of those products.

I think most consumers that will buy Shell or Mobil products are going to follow OEM recommendations for an OCI because many will want to maintain a warranty of just don't want to get into the guesswork of doing an extended OCI. No need to produce a half dozen different variations of the same product when one will meet the majority of customers' needs.

Originally Posted by Ignatius

I am of the opinion that oil is oil and labels like "extended performance" are just marketing gimmicks just like the "gas truck" label is. I think Shell is most interested in producing a simple line of products that has the widest appeal per individual product so to minimize overproduction. I mentioned in another thread that Mobil produces six different 0w-20 oils and I just don't believe there is much difference between any of them, I think RGT 0W-20 is marketed to match up with most if not all six of those products.

I think most consumers that will buy Shell or Mobil products are going to follow OEM recommendations for an OCI because many will want to maintain a warranty of just don't want to get into the guesswork of doing an extended OCI. No need to produce a half dozen different variations of the same product when one will meet the majority of customers' needs.

They're not marketing gimmicks. I've seen oxidation tests of oils like Mobil 1 AP/EP vs the competition. With you, you're generally getting what you pay for. You're right about oils such as TSUV etc., although they do contain added AO's.

Originally Posted by Ignatius

They're not marketing gimmicks. I've seen oxidation tests of oils like Mobil 1 AP/EP vs the competition. With you, you're generally getting what you pay for. You're right about oils such as TSUV etc., although they do contain added AO's.

Perhaps a better way for me to put it lies in how much incremental difference there is between all 6 Mobil 1 0w-20 oils versus how many of those bases Rotella Gas Truck would cover with one single 0w-20 oil. Also from the research I have done as well as the fact that I have used multiple variations of Mobil 1 0w-20, primarily AFE & EP, I don't see much difference.

RGT is a direct competitor to Mobil 1 AFE, TSUV, amd HM. M1 EP & AP are products that tout longer usage intervals amd I would agree that their oil content is likely of a higher quality and performance yet is it enough to compel a customer to pay $35 fot a jug of AP vs. $22 for a jug of RGT?

I am a big fan of M1 EP 0w-20, if we take rebates and other promotional incentives out of the equation that is one oil I might pay a few bucks extra for over RGT.

"They're not marketing gimmicks. I've seen oxidation tests of oils like Mobil 1 AP/EP vs the competition. With you, you're generally getting what you pay for. You're right about oils such as TSUV etc., although they do contain added AO's." (quote)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, I think both Shell and XOM have engaged in harmless marketing with the Truck/SUV lines - but there should be little doubt considering base stock and adds that M1 EP/AP are not the same formulations.

As for the worn out debate on warranty ? Consider the average age of cars on the road - do the math on short term warranties

Last edited:
My view is that it makes sense from Shell's distribution perspective. RGT means there's a dexos1 type lube with a familiar name for people buying from distributors and/or accustomed to the Shell or ROTELLA names. In Canada, to make matters worse, Pennzoil and Quaker State cannot be sold at all Shell distributors, only full line Shell distributors. So, here in Regina, if I wanted to pick up some HDEO and a dexos1 from the distributor here, I'd be getting RGT because that's all they sell formally dexos1 approved. Before, I'd have had to pick up the Pennzoil or QS options elsewhere, or simply use technically non-approved Formula Shell synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back