Which are you?😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most newer cars display the range in the trip computer so I pay more attention to that then the fuel gauge itself. If I'm going towards a cheap gas area and know it's within range, I'll wait to fill up there. Only get nervous when the range drops to 30 miles, at which point, the display just says LOW.

Driving on the open road? Fill it and stretch your legs at ~ half-a-tank. It's good for safety.

Driving on the open road in unfamiliar territory possibly on a weekend? Fill it every chance you get! Ever driven about Nova Scotia on a weekend. I have.

Driving locally? Keep the fuel pump submerged so it cools better. This is what I've heard.

TRUE CONFESSIONS: I have entertained myself pumping 17.4 gallons of fuel into an 18 gallon tank during VERY FAMILIAR runs. However, the time a breakdown which caused rubbernecking delays made me poo my pants prompted me seek a new source of fun.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by ArtDart
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I run it to a quarter tank and gas up. Pretty simple actually.

This works for me also

+1 Same here.

Quarter-tank man here as well.
Had to replace a fuel pump I couldn't get to without dropping the exhaust and gas tank.

My vehicles always seem to run better at around 1/4 - 1/2 a tank.

If its really hot out, at least a 1/4 tank down from full to keep the EVAP system from flooding.

If its rainy and humid, keep it near full to make little room for water vapour in the tank.

Running low?

All the flotsam and dirty water is on the bottom.

It's heavier than gasoline.

I guess these days the pickup isn't on the float so its in the bottom of the tank'
So if you suspect water in the tank, some fresh E10 on top should help puts some alky in the water.

Since my vw has never taken more than 8 gallons
I usually Fill at 1/4 > 1/3rd a tank and fill to 2/3 >3/4 a tank.

About $12 -13 bucks depending.

42 MPG average on gasoline in a compact car. Not bad at all.

Man I'm rambling here, sorry.
frown.gif

Last edited:
It depends on what I'm driving.
In my Camaro, I run it down below empty. The car is 18 years old with 273k miles, and it still has the original fuel pump.
In my Dodge, the fuel gauge hasn't worked for about the last 350k miles, so I tend to be conservative. If I'm running without trailer, I am confident I can get 20 mpg, and can run 30 gallons out of the 35 gallon tank, so I go 600 miles. With trailer, I plan my fueling so I can fill up at stations with cheap fuel that I know in different parts of the country. If I can't get to one, I short-fill with just enough expensive fuel to get to cheap fuel. I assume I get 11 mpg towing and can run 30 gallons out of the tank, so I could go 330 miles, but I rarely run past 270.

Originally Posted by Brian553
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by ArtDart
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I run it to a quarter tank and gas up. Pretty simple actually.

This works for me also

+1 Same here.

Quarter-tank man here as well.
Had to replace a fuel pump I couldn't get to without dropping the exhaust and gas tank.

Cutting hole in the floor or rear seat kick up is a real option.

Until I had the Subaru I don't think I've ever had a vehicle with a remotely accurate gas gauge. I don't trust them. But even on road trips, I'll fill up at half tank.

Plus if the power goes out for an extended period of time, I have 35 gallons in the truck and 19 gallons in the Jeep to keep the generator going. Or if I have to take off in an emergency for a parent in the hospital, etc.

If you're worried about running empty, just keep a few gallons PLASTIC container of gas in the trunk. Back in the early 80's I took a road trip up the Alaskan highway and back and filled two 5 gallon metal fuel cans with gas. I smelled gas during the entire trip but never had to use it. After getting back to civilization and no longer worried of finding gas stations, I decided to use the stash. I go to the back to lift out a can and nearly fling it across the road it's so light. It was empty. Both the cans had a leak all this time. Not only could we have been stuck in the middle of nowhere without gas, but the car could have blown up from the fumes.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Cutting hole in the floor or rear seat kick up is a real option.

Fortunately all I have to do is pull back the carpet and there it is, right under a cover. Takes maybe 30mins at most to swap out the fuel pump.

Fwiw, I'm a try and keep it full kind of person.

Originally Posted by atikovi
If you're worried about running empty, just keep a few gallons PLASTIC container of gas in the trunk. Back in the early 80's I took a road trip up the Alaskan highway and back and filled two 5 gallon metal fuel cans with gas. I smelled gas during the entire trip but never had to use it. After getting back to civilization and no longer worried of finding gas stations, I decided to use the stash. I go to the back to lift out a can and nearly fling it across the road it's so light. It was empty. Both the cans had a leak all this time. Not only could we have been stuck in the middle of nowhere without gas, but the car could have blown up from the fumes.

Yikes! You were a rolling Pinto waiting to happen!...‚

I usually try to not get much below a quarter tank. At least on the vehicles that the gas gauge works in. The mustang doesn't work, so I fill it every time before I drive it out of town.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Until I had the Subaru I don't think I've ever had a vehicle with a remotely accurate gas gauge. I don't trust them. But even on road trips, I'll fill up at half tank.

Plus if the power goes out for an extended period of time, I have 35 gallons in the truck and 19 gallons in the Jeep to keep the generator going. Or if I have to take off in an emergency for a parent in the hospital, etc.

They're actually pretty accurate and work off resistance (ohms). If you're not getting an accurate reading you either have a bad sensor or it needs calibration.

When the tank is overfilled the float is submerged. The sending unit won't start to read resistance until the float is able to lower below it's maximum raised position. That's why you can drive around for miles on a full tank before the gas gauge moves. (hope that makes sense)

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
It doesn't cost any more money to keep a FULL tank as compared to a tank 1/4 full.

Hypermilers would disagree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back