17 Accord 6AT "service"

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I went to pick up my new to me accord, I noticed at the dealer there was a list of prices. It showed that the 6AT "service" was for over 900 dollars.....What in the world is that for? From what I've all read, this AT requires fluid replacement at 105K, like the other AT generations. Is there something else that needs to be done too? I can't find anything on that.

This was back in '91 but I remember my parents having a transmission rebuilt for $900 at an excellent transmission shop which is still around today. Have no idea what that service would consist of.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
When I went to pick up my new to me accord, I noticed at the dealer there was a list of prices. It showed that the 6AT "service" was for over 900 dollars.....What in the world is that for? From what I've all read, this AT requires fluid replacement at 105K, like the other AT generations. Is there something else that needs to be done too? I can't find anything on that.

Misprint, the high-cost service was probably for the Pilots which are equipped with the ZF 9-speed automatic. Those require the $49/qt fluid (ZF LifeGuard 9).

What in the world is that for?

In this case, it's silly asking here.... Shoulda asked them while you were there.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Misprint, the high-cost service was probably for the Pilots which are equipped with the ZF 9-speed automatic. Those require the $49/qt fluid (ZF LifeGuard 9).

If that's what it is, whoever put the numbers on the sign isn't very smart. It's pretty dumb to put the cost of an outlier service and just scare people with that cost when it doesn't apply to the majority of Honda owners. They should have put "Transmission fluid replacement - $109.99*" and for the asterisk, which will likely apply to other services as well, saying "for most vehicles".

I'll be back there probably Saturday....but it was on a common board as you enter the service area. There was a list of other prices too which weren't crazy, but that AT Service...900 stood out. I WISH it was for the timing belt...I'd jump on that for the 06 Accord.

I WISH it was for the timing belt...I'd jump on that for the 06 Accord.

Local dealer runs a timing belt special for around $450 $550 (now). Issue is, they only change the belt, nothing else. I wonder how many people end up with only getting the belt changed vs getting a phone call during the day with, "Uhhhh, Mr Schmoe, once the technician got in there, he sees that you really should change the water pump, tensioner, pulleys, etc. To do all of that, the price will be $1040. Can we go ahead with that?". There's a specialty Honda/Acura place nearby us and he charges $1300 ! He only uses Honda parts, which is hard to complain about, but it seems like he charges his customers full retail price for the parts (it's his business so he can do that of course).

Here's that dealer's offer: https://www.joemorganhonda.com/specials/service.htm. For (older) baseball fans, yes, that's the same Joe Morgan from the Big Red Machine Cincinnati Reds.

Last edited:
We had an '05 Odyssey that was purchased new by a Honda employee (the employee order confirmation form, delivery paperwork, etc was given to us when we bought it used). It also came with all service records, including work done at the dealer and they had 30k drain-and-fills done routinely. The dealer was charging $79 for this, then increased it to $89. That was around 10 years ago so yeah, it's no doubt higher now, but I've been told Honda dealers typically charge $109, $129, etc for this.

I tried to buy an Accord from Joe Morgan Honda several years ago, they wouldn't deal AT ALL. Wound up with a VW Jetta that my daughter's boyfriend drives now. Nice enough people at the dealership, just not eager to sell me a car. I think we may have one car in the "fleet" with a timing belt. I should probably check, because it has 191xxx miles on it and I sure haven't changed it.

Infiniti, Acura and Lexus dealers typically charge under $300 for the transmission fluid service on their vehicles with OEM or Mobil1 ATF. So either that Honda takes ZF Unicorn blood, it's a misprint, or the dealers owner lost for the note for the place in a high stakes poker game, borrowed money from the wrong crowd and is trying to pay it off before his knees go the way of BMW v8 rod bearings. Keep in mind with the luxury brands you get a luxury loaner and fed either cookies if you bought the Infiniti or breakfast if you're smart and got the Lexus. That is factored into the cost so for a Honda I'd expect it to run closer to $150.

I owned a 2010 Accord 6AT from 2010 til 2015. Back then, Honda dealers were doing the 6AT transmission service for $129 or $99 with a service coupon.

See that's what I mean. It's a Honda, people buy them because they drive well and don't cost an arm and a leg to service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back