Which are you?😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Our debate happens over half full or half empty - ending in "do you need anything else when I go get gas"

honestly i keep mine full because if there is a earthquake I want to have fuel as the pumps will not be working at all..(more then likely for a very long time as there will be no power to get the fuel from the tank to the car

this also should be practiced in other disaster areas that have hurricanes,... chances are you will not have power for a while

and you will not have to wait in a two hour line

Last edited:
another thing is if you put cold fuel in on a hot pump it will damage it (thermal shock)

Or the pump may burn out prematurely (overheat)

Or the filter may get clogged

might suck up some water (water only works as fuel on the sun)

my friend burned out his fuel pump and it cost him $1400 to replace it let it go to one too many times..

Last edited:
My ex used to coast home on fumes and when I'd jump in her ride to make a grocery store run.. I'd be the one having to go fill it up. Drove me nuts! I suspect that was her plan all along..🤔

I think it's good to know how far you can go before you run out of gas so in the future if you can't get gas for some reason you know where your gauge truly shows empty. I can get a whole needle width below the empty line in my 02 Accord.

I keep all my vehicles full. Once in a while coming back from a trip or something similar will allow me to run low. 95% of the time I fill everything up when they get down to about a half tank. My Ford F-150 holds 38 gallons and when I take it on a trip I usually come back home to Costco and fill it up instead of buying much more expensive gas out of town. It depends on which direction I go. Usually if I go South I can get better deals on gas and any other direction it cost's more.

Left. When it hits the halfway mark, I will fill up soon.

Was poor back in the day with not much money for fuel. Worrying about running out before I could round up enough $ to put a gallon or two in the tank is no way to live. I can not understand why you wouldn't fill up if the price of the fill up was not a concern.

Kinda like my mom and stepfather. Difference is my mom will let it get lower than the one on the left, my stepfather would go 200 more miles on the right image. It's mind boggling how he's never replaced a fuel pump except on his newest truck (and ironically it had to be replaced basically right when he bought it).

He owns his home and truck outright, makes darn good money, plenty of side income, and zero debt. But he literally complains even at the current $1.99/gallon that he "can't afford to fill it" [his tank]. No, he's not a $10 man. He's a $5 man...who will drive literally (I mapped it) 25 miles one-way in his truck that gets 17mpg to a gas station that is $0.05/gallon cheaper...to put said $5 in.
crazy.gif

Where did I go wrong...?

I tend to let the tank run low if I'm driving within the county I live as there are gas stations all over. I took the Elantra down to a range of 6 miles before I filled up. I put in 13.1 gallons. The tank is rated to hold 14 gallons.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
honestly i keep mine full because if there is a earthquake I want to have fuel as the pumps will not be working at all....

ANY EMERGENCY!

Ever since Sept 11 of 2001, I never let my tank drop below 1/2 for any reason.

And........ if you have kids, or elderly parents, or a wife that needs medical attention (that's like 90% of us on here) - then you NEVER want to think about filling up on your way to an emergency.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Kinda like my mom and stepfather. Difference is my mom will let it get lower than the one on the left, my stepfather would go 200 more miles on the right image. It's mind boggling how he's never replaced a fuel pump except on his newest truck (and ironically it had to be replaced basically right when he bought it).

He owns his home and truck outright, makes darn good money, plenty of side income, and zero debt. But he literally complains even at the current $1.99/gallon that he "can't afford to fill it" [his tank]. No, he's not a $10 man. He's a $5 man...who will drive literally (I mapped it) 25 miles one-way in his truck that gets 17mpg to a gas station that is $0.05/gallon cheaper...to put said $5 in.
crazy.gif

Where did I go wrong...?

it actually cost more money to keep stopping at the gas station when i fill up it's on the way home No additional fuel is used

Cheap gas is not the best I all ready calculated the difference between cheap gas at 3.399 will cost me 0.183/a mile

the "cheap" gas will cost me $4.58
to get 25 miles

while buying good gas at mobil or chevron will cost me 0.15 cents per mile
or 3.759

I rather pay 3.75 and get 25mpg then get cheap gas and get 18.5mpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I run it to a quarter tank and gas up. Pretty simple actually.

This works for me also

Generally left; keep her filled.
The Tundra? Wait for a neighbor to borrow it; she comes back topped off.
The Model 3 starts every day filled; pretty nice. So never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back