'17 F150 - 3.5L EcoBoost - Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 - 7,165 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The longest OCI I've done on this engine. The first time with RGT. Pretty pleased with the results, especially the flashpoint. The viscosity didn't hold up as much as I was hoping, but I suppose I could bring the OCI back down some. I don't have any huge amount of time researching UOAs though. What do you all think?

[Linked Image]

5/4/2017 - The first one is obviously factory fill. I'm assuming Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-30.

9/4/2017 - Valvoline SynPower MST 5w-40. I'm assuming this one caught your eye?

4/20/2018 - Amsoil XL 5w-30

11/4/2018 - Amsoil XL 10w-30

I like the RTG for the money for the high Moly
I've owned an Ecoboost and I'm not a big fan of long oil changes
I'd stick with the RTG
Looks good to me !!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Heard good thing from people who use Castrol Magnatec 5W30 in these Ecoboost engines........something to consider.

Just saying.......
wink.gif

Only way to go.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I like the RTG for the money for the high Moly
I've owned an Ecoboost and I'm not a big fan of long oil changes
I'd stick with the RTG
Looks good to me !!ðŸ‘

Agree. The RGT does look good in this truck. So do the others though.

Overall the wear metals are settling down. The Fe avg ppm/1k miles is nice and low now; it's been coming down regardless of the lube used. At close to 2ppm/1k mi, it's about as good as you could hope for. The other metals are so low now they are just noise. The contamination is low as well.

I see you stopped getting the TBN; that's a wise choice, as it's probably not going to show any correlation to wear rates anyway. I've seen tons of data with both TBN and TAN, and historically they've not been a good predictor of impending wear in shorter OCIs. With today's sealed crankcase systems, there's just not nearly as much risk of acidic damage. The only time I would consider getting TBN/TAN counts is if you're doing greatly extended OFCIs; past 15k miles.

Are you following the IOLM? I would think you could easily get to 10k miles in an OCI.

If it was my Ford, no more than 5,000 miles between oil changes.
Recent "livery" thread as an example.

Ford just want vehicles to make it past powertrain warranty, and then the owner is on his own.
From personal experience having bought and run over a 1,000 Fords for a fleet.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Overall the wear metals are settling down. The Fe avg ppm/1k miles is nice and low now; it's been coming down regardless of the lube used. At close to 2ppm/1k mi, it's about as good as you could hope for. The other metals are so low now they are just noise. The contamination is low as well.

I see you stopped getting the TBN; that's a wise choice, as it's probably not going to show any correlation to wear rates anyway. I've seen tons of data with both TBN and TAN, and historically they've not been a good predictor of impending wear in shorter OCIs. With today's sealed crankcase systems, there's just not nearly as much risk of acidic damage. The only time I would consider getting TBN/TAN counts is if you're doing greatly extended OFCIs; past 15k miles.

Are you following the IOLM? I would think you could easily get to 10k miles in an OCI.

Indeed, those are basically the comments I'm getting from Blackstone. I really could not be more pleased with my EcoBoost. 80% of my miles are highway, with some city and dirt road miles filling out the rest. I do not push the limit on hauling and I don't tow.

I completely agree about TBN. I realized with the OCIs I run, there's absolutely no point to getting that test.

I am not following the IOLM per se. I typically run it around 5-6K. The IOLM would be going off almost exactly at 10K. I still have a ways to go to build up the confidence to run that long, but I'm working on it.

Originally Posted by Danno

Ford just want vehicles to make it past powertrain warranty, and then the owner is on his own.

100% agree for fleet vehicles. All my fleet trucks get 5K. They are run hard and heavy and idle a lot in city traffic and on job sites.

My personal F150, as well as my wife's Escape, have LIFETIME powertrain warranties from the dealership. So I'm perfectly willing to push the envelope as far as Ford's recommended OCI with those vehicles. At near 60K miles on my truck, doesn't appear to be an issue at all...yet.

Sorry not only do I believe you spreading bunk there is no merit to your assertation.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Sorry not only do I believe you spreading bunk there is no merit to your assertation.

I've heard more than once that Police vehicles get oil changes every 5k miles as well, and they use the lowest cost 5W-30 that meets the Ford specifications.

Yeah, silicon is a little elevated. My air filter was in serious need of a cleaning. I am often driving on dirt and need to clean the filter every 20-30K miles. I am running a Whipple cold air intake.

Originally Posted by mdtaylor86

It did mine. Are you thinking about another run with it? Considering how good it looks and how early that sample was, if the numbers are much lower in another run I'd say you have a winner there.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by mdtaylor86

It did mine. Are you thinking about another run with it? Considering how good it looks and how early that sample was, if the numbers are much lower in another run I'd say you have a winner there.

I'm not sure. I might. I don't want to push it with the lifetime powertrain warranty, but I'm confident the oil will not be the cause of any failures.

But I agree, that oil looked really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back