I have to set up Wake-On-Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.
In less than 2 weeks I will relocate for a few months for a job. I would like to be able to access my desktop at home from my workplace. I have installed AnyDesk and it works fine for me.The only thing I have not really figured out is how to set up Wake-On-Lan. I know what to set up in the Device Manager.

In the BIOS of the pc I want to remotely access, I have the following Wake-On-Lan options:

LAN only
LAN with PXE Boot
WLAN Only
LAN or WLAN

Which option is the correct one?

Also, I suppose I will need some program or utility that can send a Magic Packet or something to wake up the pc. Or does AnyDesk have this feature inbuilt? Thanks for any suggestions.

You would set LAN only. WLAN is wireless LAN, i.e. your wifi system. PXE means your PC boots from a server rather than the internal disk.

But, this is only going to work if your ISP and router let the magic packets through-- that is unlikely. In which case you would have to configure the PC to never sleep, so it doesn't have to be woken up.

I feel like I have this set up at home and I don't have wake-on-lan enabled. I just have the following:

- Motherboard set to auto power on. There should be a setting in the BIOS.
- PC, cable modem, and router is on uninterruptible power supply
- Teamviewer for remote access
- A nightly batch job/script that will restart teamviewer.exe (I've had it freeze up while I was away, making it impossible to remote in)

You could also schedule a nightly reboot (which would negate the need for the restart script) to be extra sure.

It's great to be able to access your main PC while thousands of miles away. Lets me take a really "weak" laptop when I travel since I can accomplish anything important over a remote session.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
The "Magic Packet" won't traverse the internet unless you're already connected through a VPN.

This. You need to have to computer on and should set it to be "on" if power fails, so that it comes back up. WOL isn't designed for this scenario.

Basically you need to have a server of some sort on your network that you can access through a static IP or a dynamic IP address that will generate the so-called "magic packet" that is required for wake-on-LAN. It works at the Ethernet, not the IP layer of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back