A Nut About Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm such a nut about the oil I want to run in my newly bought '16 Ford Fiesta. I had Havoline in a box, 5w20 but took it back, it seemed too thin. Then I heard about a sale on NAPA syn blend and got 2 jugs of 5w20 for $19.71 with the NAPA $5 rewards. Then I picked up one of 5w30 in that brand. So I have three 5 quart jugs of this stuff and I feel like taking it back for a refund and buying Super Tech 5w20 conv oil to run when I do my OCI in early October. But the NAPA oil is made by Valvoline and would hold a candle to any oil out there, especially for $11.50 a jug. ST is $13.68 every day.

A few years ago I had some Valvoline NextGen recycled 5w20 oil in single quarts and I sold them. I bought them on closeout for about 65c a quart and resold them for cheap, about $2 a quart. I just didn't want to run that oil for some odd reason.

Am I the only guy out there like this? I seem obsessed about it.
I only drive 3 to 4k miles a year these days.
I do an OCI 2x a year, usually with conv oil.

If you find this post too much for you to deal with, kindly scroll on by to a post you relate to better, vs replying with insults.
The mods can also feel free to delete this if they feel the need to.

Havoline 5/20 conventional has gobs of moly and boron..159ppm and 90ppm respectively. Get that in the 6qt box and don't look back. And Supreme 5/20 is just $12 and change for the 5qt jug. But there's nothing wrong with the SuperTech.. it'll do just fine for you.

Last edited:
At some point in life you just gotta pick your battles and go with em

Your engine is an easy pick
Find a good quality oil you believe in and run with it
It's really simple to do !!ðŸ‘

You are over thinking things a bit. Any name brand 5w-20 synthetic will be just fine. None are too thin or too thick if your engine takes 5w-20. Don't obsess over the oil filter either
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Did you shake the box and listen to the oil splashing to determine that it was too thin?

HMS

I've been told if you hold up an empty jug of Chevron to your ear.. you can hear Rockefellers voice?...🤔

Napa oil is fine oil. The Havoline ProDs is also. You just can pick one that meets requirements and you will be fine. Once you have ran an oil for a period of time then that is when personal preference comes in. I tend to over analyze everything so I know where you are coming from.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by PimTac
Did you shake the box and listen to the oil splashing to determine that it was too thin?

HMS

I've been told if you hold up an empty jug of Chevron to your ear.. you can hear Rockefellers voice?...🤔

Weird. I hear Cornelius Vanderbilts voice.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
... I had Havoline in a box, 5w20 but took it back, it seemed too thin. ...

Don't just focus on Havoline 5w20! Any x20 is "too thin". I would personally take back any x20 if I get one as a gift.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
... I had Havoline in a box, 5w20 but took it back, it seemed too thin. ...

Don't just focus on Havoline 5w20! Any x20 is "too thin". I would personally take back any x20 if I get one as a gift.

If the car specs 20w why wouldnt it be more than sufficient? Besides..he returned 5w20 for another brand of 5w20...not sure how one 5w20 is thinner than another by judging it on feels...

That engine is port injected with a dry timing belt if i remember correctly, relatively low power and low tech. Pretty darn easy setup for the oil.

I seem obsessed about it.

Yes you are obsessed, no insult intended.

If you find this post too much for you to deal with, kindly scroll on by to a post you relate to better, vs replying with insults.
The mods can also feel free to delete this if they feel the need to.

I think we have a winner here.

Preemptive strike trying to deflect anyone from criticizing this "new" user from igniting a thin-vs-thick debate. Several of his posts are like this one.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
I seem obsessed about it.

Yes you are obsessed, no insult intended.

When you buy an oil filter cutter that is proof positive you are obsessed.

I have some engines on my ranch that have had the same oil in the sump for over 10 years now. (rarely used equipment)

I'll change the oil when it looks like it could need an oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back