Hyundai observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
My $50,000 pickup does the same thing with the solid axle in the rear-under the right conditions.

Does your pickup turn into a 4-door sedan passenger car with no bed and towing options under the right conditions too?

Originally Posted by parimento1
Overall they aren't bad cars, but they aren't as refined as their Japanese or American counterparts, which isn't really a big deal, as they are significantly cheaper.

Not refined as US counterparts, now that's funny. I guess Hyundai/Kia initial quality rankings are bull pucky then? Or are we not believing ratings anymore because we're living in the "post truth" era?...go sit in a fully loaded $50k Kia Telluride then come back and let's talk about refined.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Overall they aren't bad cars, but they aren't as refined as their Japanese or American counterparts, which isn't really a big deal, as they are significantly cheaper.

Not refined as US counterparts, now that's funny. I guess Hyundai/Kia initial quality rankings are bull pucky then? Or are we not believing ratings anymore because we're living in the "post truth" era?...go sit in a fully loaded $50k Kia Telluride then come back and let's talk about refined.

See what I mean?

While my BMW was at the dealer waiting for the flood repair, I rented a Hyundai Elantra. It had several of the same features as the BMW or my 2011 Regal; you could put the car in Sport or Eco mode and shift the transmission as you liked. The A/C was good; the interface to run the stereo and change the car's settings was easy to learn and use. It rode well, too.

Two of the guys in my writing critique group have Sonatas, both recent models with 200+ hp and a lot of features. I've ridden in the older one, and it doesn't feel like a BMW, but it doesn't feel like a cheap car either.

Originally Posted by grampi

And yet people will swear up and down the Korean makes are as good, or better than the others...

Yeah, imagine that, people have different opinions. Not all of them agree with you.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by CKN
My $50,000 pickup does the same thing with the solid axle in the rear-under the right conditions.

Does your pickup turn into a 4-door sedan passenger car with no bed and towing options under the right conditions too?

Well...it IS A CREW CAB...........................has a hard tonneau cover...trunk like bed with the cover.

Can't take away the towing capacity though..........

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
While my BMW was at the dealer waiting for the flood repair, I rented a Hyundai Elantra. It had several of the same features as the BMW or my 2011 Regal; you could put the car in Sport or Eco mode and shift the transmission as you liked. The A/C was good; the interface to run the stereo and change the car's settings was easy to learn and use. It rode well, too.

Two of the guys in my writing critique group have Sonatas, both recent models with 200+ hp and a lot of features. I've ridden in the older one, and it doesn't feel like a BMW, but it doesn't feel like a cheap car either.

My first Hyundai purchase was in 2000. While the powertrain was decent, the inside fit and finish was nothing to write home about. I stayed away from Hyundai-Kia's for the next decade. In 09 I decided to give them a 2nd look (when I bought my current Kia)... the powertrain was well improved as was the inside fit and finish. Plus at that time their long term reliability and initial quality had come up a lot, rivaling their competition. Fast forward 10 more years and I just test drove their sport crossover and wow..I would have no problem plunking down the money for that Telluride, and I hear Genesis owners have been equally satisfied with their rides.

(the 2019 Genesis G90 was Car & Drivers "Editors Choice")

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher

And yet people will swear up and down the Korean makes are as good, or better than the others...

Yeah, imagine that, people have different opinions. Not all of them agree with you.

Both can't be right...

Last year I rented a Tucson in Denver and drove it 5+ hours to the Black Hills of SD. I was really impressed with the quietness and the ride of the vehicle. I know on some stretches of the wide open highway I glanced down at the speedometer and was shocked at the rate I was moving without even knowing it.

Took it off roading through Custer State Park and never felt uncomfortable. It was early enough in the year (May) that I used the seat warmers and without a doubt they were the most effective come up to temp seats that I've used.

Even the mpg was acceptable for an AWD of it's size (32+)

I drive 100 miles a day so it would be tough to part with the Civic but if it came down to a Tucson or Crosstrek(I've owned 2 of them) it would be a difficult choice.

The only think I wasn't crazy about was the infotainment system. I felt it difficult to navigate.

All the Hyundai products I've been in via Uber and Lyft seemed like solid cars from a passenger's perspective. The drivers tell me they like them better than the Prius - more power, no worries about hybrid batteries going out and more room.

It just seems like to me Toyota has dove down to 1990s GM/Ford interior level lately. The Korean strategy is to start small and cheap and then work upmarket. That seemed to have worked for Samsung and LG but Hyundai botched the quality of the Excel/Elantra/Scoupe in the 1980s-1990s. Samsung reintroduced themselves in the US with cell phones before they could take on Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba, LG bought out Zenith and used them as a vehicle to ramp up in the US. Hyundai started with a better warranty as part of their US reincarnation(and not using Mitsu platforms since the 1990s helped them).

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I test drove a fairly new Elantra a year ago. It's a nice looking car with a lot of features and options, but I didn't care for the car's suspension. Riding down the highway, the tires were actually leaving the road surface when hitting the seams between pavement slabs. This was very annoying. Also about a year ago, my wife's van had to go to the Toyota dealership for a recall, and my loaner vehicle was a 2017 Corolla. I can say the Corolla was far and away better than the Elantra in every aspect...

Every model minus the seldom seen Sport trim has a torsion beam rear suspension. The Sport has an independent rear suspension designed by an ex BMW suspension engineer and is fantastic.

I don't care who it was designed by, the ride sucked...

I doubt you drove the Elantra Sport being referred to..

Originally Posted by lawrencerd
Originally Posted by skyactiv
I test drove a fairly new Elantra a year ago. It's a nice looking car with a lot of features and options, but I didn't care for the car's suspension. Riding down the highway, the tires were actually leaving the road surface when hitting the seams between pavement slabs. This was very annoying. Also about a year ago, my wife's van had to go to the Toyota dealership for a recall, and my loaner vehicle was a 2017 Corolla. I can say the Corolla was far and away better than the Elantra in every aspect...

Every model minus the seldom seen Sport trim has a torsion beam rear suspension. The Sport has an independent rear suspension designed by an ex BMW suspension engineer and is fantastic.

I don't care who it was designed by, the ride sucked...

I doubt you drove the Elantra Sport being referred to..

I don't remember which one it was, but I do know it was the current body style...

I would not say I am a Hyundai fanboi but I have no problem with them as a company. The 2 we have owned have been reliable and have more features and better ride characteristics than cars I consider at the time. Even though both of mine are being sold I would not hesitate to look at them as a brand again. I don't understand why some people just straight up hate them.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I would not say I am a Hyundai fanboi but I have no problem with them as a company. The 2 we have owned have been reliable and have more features and better ride characteristics than cars I consider at the time. Even though both of mine are being sold I would not hesitate to look at them as a brand again. I don't understand why some people just straight up hate them.

People in this forum who have seen my posts would probably say I hate them. I don't. I think they are decent vehicles. I just don't think they're as good as a lot of people claim they are...

My take is that they give great value for the cost. Maybe not as nice as far more expensive vehicles, but all of us drivers aren't snobs and many of us can put up with some quirks to save money.

How many DIY owners will get under the car for hours of work to save a few hundred dollars rather than paying a shop, plenty if you can believe the posters. But they have no qualms about spending an extra $5,000 or $10,000 (if not even more of a premium) to get a "better" ride.

To each their own.

girlfriends just purchased lo mile kia optima shames her oil eating traded 2013 malibu all around for less $$$$ + less issues. they truely have improved thru the years + sell at lower prices!!

It seems that this Korean maker has come a long way in the past decade.
Good, since more choice is a good thing for all of us.
I'm still driving Honda and am happy with my choice, but Hyundai has provided some really good products in recent years.
I am very impressed with the company's having stepped up to the plate to replace known bad engines even out of warranty.
Would GM, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes, GM, FCA and Ford do the same?

We own a Hyundai Palisade and a 2018 Toyota Highlander.

In every aspect I can think of and in my limited experience with both, the Hyundai is a superior product. There is no redeeming quality for the Highlander.

Wife has had her 2008 Santa Fe Limited 3.3 AWD for 5 years now. She still likes it. She hauls hay and a two horse trailer with it. Plenty of power, and pretty stinking reliable. I've had to do a couple things to it over the years, new King Lift Springs and rear wheel bearings (big surprise from all the towing....) and a couple minor engine issues, such as oil control valves and the typical Lambda V6 oil leaks, but largely trouble free. It does not act like a car that has 235k on it. It's been a great car and I would recommend one to anyone. There are some Kia/Hyundai models I would steer people away from, having been a Kia Master Elite Tech for 5 years, I've seen some things. But this generation of Santa Fe or Veracruz is a great car.

543080B4-F203-4B17-828E-86AC8B28495B.jpeg

AB454E0E-973B-44BD-A965-5A24420CAED9.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69Torino
Wife has had her 2008 Santa Fe Limited 3.3 AWD for 5 years now. She still likes it. She hauls hay and a two horse trailer with it. Plenty of power, and pretty stinking reliable. I've had to do a couple things to it over the years, new King Lift Springs and rear wheel bearings (big surprise from all the towing....) and a couple minor engine issues, such as oil control valves and the typical Lambda V6 oil leaks, but largely trouble free. It does not act like a car that has 235k on it. It's been a great car and I would recommend one to anyone. There are some Kia/Hyundai models I would steer people away from, having been a Kia Master Elite Tech for 5 years, I've seen some things. But this generation of Santa Fe or Veracruz is a great car.

Agree on the 2nd gen Santa Fe. With reasonable maintenance they are as tough as nails. I had a 2008 with the little 2.7L V6, 4spd auto and 4x4. The 3.3L/ 5spd AT is a better combo for the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back