ACEA A5 or above.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by weasley
And, once again, the caveat from the Lubrizol comparison chart has to be highlighted:

Originally Posted by "Lubrizol"
NOTE: These performance charts are primarily designed to demonstrate performance within the same industry specification, for example, ACEA E6 versus ACEA E7, or API CH-4 versus API CJ-4. This tool has not been expressly designed to show relative performance between different specifications.

Does this mean using this graph to compare a3/b4 with a5/b5 is like comparing apples and oranges ... or it sounds like it is ok since both specs are within the same industry? No?

A3/B4 vs. A5/B5 should be fine.

A3 vs. C3 would be sketchy.

A5 vs. dexos1 would be meaningless.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Also is 10 a grade meaning good or does it mean high (i.e. bad)?

High score means good.

Thanks.
Don't know why I was having difficulty with 10 being good or bad. should have looked at 10 (or a higher number) as something better ... as you have explained.

I was looking at everything collectively and thinking:
Lower wear or sludge, etc. is good so a number near 10 represents lower/less of something.
I was then applying the same rule to the fuel economy and thinking high number means lower/less fuel economy ... maybe I was distracted or had a brain frat!
grin2.gif

Maybe they should add "protection" to it. e.g. wear protection, sludge protection, etc.

And, once again, the caveat from the Lubrizol comparison chart has to be highlighted:

This. We can make a couple valid conclusions from the spider graph shown in this thread, but they're obvious ones we knew already. dexos1 takes into account fuel economy and emissions systems. Of course, given that dexos1 lubes are ILSAC lubes, we already knew the HTHS would be low and the phosphorus would follow ILSAC limits and SAPS would not be through the roof.

Originally Posted by "Lubrizol"
NOTE: These performance charts are primarily designed to demonstrate performance within the same industry specification, for example, ACEA E6 versus ACEA E7, or API CH-4 versus API CJ-4. This tool has not been expressly designed to show relative performance between different specifications.

So basically these charts aren't much different from the star ratings on the bottles.

Genesis, the Hyundai premium brand, calls out AECA A5 on some of their cars. My '19 G80 3.8 NA/GDI is one of them They also offer free oil changes for the first three years. But the dealer won't use ACEA A5, only conventional oil. I wrote to Genesis corporate and they wrote back saying they recommended synthetic oil. Here's what they wrote, I bolded some sentences.

Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Genesis Customer Care in regards the synthetic oil recommended in your G80 owner's manual vs. what Genesis Complementary Maintenance will cover.

The ACEA A5 oil is recommended for optimal vehicle performance. The oil changes that are included in your 3 year complimentary maintenance are either hydrocarbon, conventional motor oil or a synthetic blend - not full synthetic. We certainly recommend you follow the oil recommendations in your owner's manual however, it is not a requirement.

Genesis Motor American does not offer pre-authorizations for synthetic motor oil for complimentary maintenance. We welcome you to inquire at your preferred Genesis Retailer, Genesis of Plano, as they may have a process for petitioning GMA for assistance in covering the cost of full synthetic oil. Please consult with your assigned Service Manager. Another option would be to purchase the required amount of synthetic oil and bring it to your maintenance appointment.

We understand your concern with the vehicle being nearly a year old per the manufacture date listed inside your door frame. This vehicle came off the production line with synthetic oil. Synthetic oils can easily offer double the service life as their chemical composition does not break down over time, unlike conventional motor oil. Please consult with your Retailer on the appropriate mileage recommendation for oil changes based on your vehicle's current mileage, driving conditions and driving habits.

If you have additional questions or concerns please contact Genesis Customer Care.

To me, this is a bait & switch if I've ever seen one.

- Your car requires synthetic oil
- Your car certainly benefits from synthetic oil
- We offer free oil changes for three years
- We're only going to use the cheap stuff
- You can pay more for what your car is supposed to use

I'm changing my own oil now. Just not sure I can/want to trust them. I can get jugs of PP, PUP, or M1EP for less than they charge for the "upgrade" to synthetic. Their "upgrade" is to Quaker State Synthetic, which is not even AECA A5 rated! What a joke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DallasCMT
Genesis, the Hyundai premium brand, calls out AECA A5 on some of their cars. My '19 G80 3.8 NA/GDI is one of them They also offer free oil changes for the first three years. But the dealer won't use ACEA A5, only conventional oil. I wrote to Genesis corporate and they wrote back saying they recommended synthetic oil. Here's what they wrote, I bolded some sentences.

Dear Mr. Xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Genesis Customer Care in regards the synthetic oil recommended in your G80 owner's manual vs. what Genesis Complementary Maintenance will cover.

The ACEA A5 oil is recommended for optimal vehicle performance. The oil changes that are included in your 3 year complimentary maintenance are either hydrocarbon, conventional motor oil or a synthetic blend - not full synthetic. We certainly recommend you follow the oil recommendations in your owner's manual however, it is not a requirement.

Genesis Motor American does not offer pre-authorizations for synthetic motor oil for complimentary maintenance. We welcome you to inquire at your preferred Genesis Retailer, Genesis of Plano, as they may have a process for petitioning GMA for assistance in covering the cost of full synthetic oil. Please consult with your assigned Service Manager. Another option would be to purchase the required amount of synthetic oil and bring it to your maintenance appointment.

We understand your concern with the vehicle being nearly a year old per the manufacture date listed inside your door frame. This vehicle came off the production line with synthetic oil. Synthetic oils can easily offer double the service life as their chemical composition does not break down over time, unlike conventional motor oil. Please consult with your Retailer on the appropriate mileage recommendation for oil changes based on your vehicle's current mileage, driving conditions and driving habits.

If you have additional questions or concerns please contact Genesis Customer Care.

To me, this is a bait & switch if I've ever seen one.

- Your car requires synthetic oil
- Your car certainly benefits from synthetic oil
- We offer free oil changes for three years
- We're only going to use the cheap stuff
- You can pay more for what your car is supposed to use

I'm changing my own oil now. Just not sure I can/want to trust them. I can get jugs of PP, PUP, or M1EP for less than they charge for the "upgrade" to synthetic. Their "upgrade" is to Quaker State Synthetic, which is not even AECA A5 rated! What a joke.

LOL, and they want to play in big league?

Their "upgrade" is to Quaker State Synthetic, which is not even AECA A5 rated! What a joke.

No oil is ACEA A5 rated. ACEA A5 was discontinued and replaced by ACEA A5/B5 many years ago.

QSUD 5W-30, which is GM dexos1 Gen 2 certified, is A-OK in your application.

In my previous car which had the 2016 1.6T that speced Acea A5/B5 I ran

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Castrol Edge 5w30
Castrol Edge 5w40 (Doesnt meet ACEA A5/B5)
QSUD 5w30 (Doesnt meet ACEA A5/B5 but 'recommended by Hyundai Owners Manual')
RP 5w30 (Doesnt meet ACEA A5/B5)
Pennzoil Gold 5w30 (doesnt meet ACEA A5/B5)
and finally Delo XLE400 10W30 (doesnt meet ACEA A5/B5)

Never had an issue running spec or not. Although in my experience Hyundai turbos are pretty much severe service. I changed oil in this car every 3000-4500 miles with factory filters, and never had an issue when I traded it in.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Castrol Edge 5w30

Never had an issue running spec or not. Although in my experience Hyundai turbos are pretty much severe service. I changed oil in this car every 3000-4500 miles with factory filters, and never had an issue when I traded it in.

Castrol Edge 5W40 is A3/B3 oil. It is heavier oil. It does not mean it is not as good as ACEA A5/B5 or that somehow A5/B5 is "newer" specification, which Hyundais manual indicates. For turbo application I would always run A3/B3 over A5/B5.
WHat Hyundai did with this oil recommendation in manual borders negligence. It is like they gave some accountant to write it.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Castrol Edge 5w30

Castrol Edge 5W40 is A3/B3 oil. It is heavier oil. It does not mean it is not as good as ACEA A5/B5 or that somehow A5/B5 is "newer" specification, which Hyundais manual indicates. For turbo application I would always run A3/B3 over A5/B5.
WHat Hyundai did with this oil recommendation in manual borders negligence. It is like they gave some accountant to write it.

Oh without a doubt my old OM stated "5w30 or 5w40 rated ACEA A5/B5 or above, hyundai recommends the use of Quaker State and Shell Helix" in 2016, I cant speak for now.

Meanwhile Quaker State lost the ACEA spec and Shell Helix is like, not commonly had in the US

Originally Posted by edyvw

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Castrol Edge 5w30

Oh without a doubt my old OM stated "5w30 or 5w40 rated ACEA A5/B5 or above, hyundai recommends the use of Quaker State and Shell Helix" in 2016, I cant speak for now.

Meanwhile Quaker State lost the ACEA spec and Shell Helix is like, not commonly had in the US

Technically, it is Pennzoil.
But it just says that probably they copy/paste manual from some other market.
Shell Helix is sold by very few specialized Euro online shops like ECSTuning. But basicallyPennzoil is rebadged Helix.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Their "upgrade" is to Quaker State Synthetic, which is not even AECA A5 rated! What a joke.
No oil is ACEA A5 rated. ACEA A5 was discontinued and replaced by ACEA A5/B5 many years ago.

QSUD 5W-30, which is GM dexos1 Gen 2 certified, is A-OK in your application.

By the way both PP and QSUD use the same PurePlus GTL base oil. You can see how incredibly low both Noack and CCS are for QSUD on the PQIA site. You're definitely getting a very premium oil that has one of the best base oils.

Back