Pennzoil Ultra Platinum worth a slight premium over the Pennzoil Platinum

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Coastie05
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here's a sheet with them both on it. There also might be some differences in base oil that a VOA can't detect.

So, I joined this site to learn because I don't have a ton of knowledge about oil, so bare with me and my question. Looking at the UOA wouldn't QSUD actually be better than PP and PUP since it has a higher viscosity number at those temps and has more moly? Also, PP and PUP don't look very different at all, so why is PUP more expensive or rated as the "higher end" oil of the two? Serious question because I don't know at all. Just looking at the numbers it doesn't make any sense to me.

You can't take one or two criterion and say "xyx is better", that's like looking at a single pixel on a TV and saying "this one's better". It's about how all the constituents perform together. A lot of criteria come into play...Type of viscosity index improvers (low quality v. high quality). The lubricants ability to resist evaporative loss. The lubricants ability to resist shear at high temps. The lubricants flow characteristics at both high and low temperature. The lubricants ability to form a sufficient film thickness and strength. Remember the purpose of additives is to aid the lubricant in preventing metal to metal contact (wear). The chemists formulating the lubricant take into consideration everything like the quality of base stocks, expected loads/temps etc. when considering how much of an additive to add. It's a balancing act and more doesn't necessarily translate to better and can even throw off the balance and have detrimental effects inside the engine. For example, anti wear additives will compete with corrosion inhibitors for metal surface area. So too much of a AW additive can actually lead to increased corrosion. The quality of the base stocks is also important. PP/PUP use GTL so in theory they're more "pure" than mineral based oils like a Grp2 or 3... Less impurities in the base stock, the better.

I am by no means the oil guru here (read: this is not my day job...‚) but this is just my take so don't take it as gospel, so if I'm off here anyone please feel free to chime in/correct.

Yes, there is more to an oil than can be ascertained from a $30 [approx] UOA or VOA. Whether we like it or not PU is still Pennzoil's Flagship PCMO. We Bitogers are unable to reverse engineer the product to see why it's better, but I would say it is pretty safe to assume the additional cost is most likely reflected in more costly ingredients used to make it. Is it worth it? To some of us it is.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Mad_Hatter said:
Yes, there is more to an oil than can be ascertained from a $30 [approx] UOA or VOA. Whether we like it or not PU is still Pennzoil's Flagship PCMO. We Bitogers are unable to reverse engineer the product to see why it's better, but I would say it is pretty safe to assume the additional cost is most likely reflected in more costly ingredients used to make it. Is it worth it? To some of us it is.

I think we've reached the limits of what we can determine. The question for everyone who wants to choose in my position is, do you think it is worth it?

I'm leaning towards the "yes" as it is about 80 cents and tax per litre. That's not a huge premium to pay for what might be a slightly better oil. The VOA does seem to say there is more additive in the Ultra Platinum, so you are certainly paying for more than just marketing.

At the very least, it is likely to be a solid oil for the right viscosity and engine spec.

Originally Posted by CrazyElf
My owner's manual allows 10W-30 as well, but only above freezing.

I'm no big 10w-30 fan, but any OEM restricting 10w-30 to 0 C and above is just being silly.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Is Ultra worth it over platinum?

No.

Tried it - too loud.

Pennzoil has fallen off the BITOG radar. I never paid much attention to the Ultra grade. Is it still great at keeping engines/pistons clean? A few years back they ran that marketing campaign based on Sequence IIIG results. Just curious. Their website is terrible.

Last edited:
I see PUP as the EP product while PP is the standard top-tier synthetic from SOPUS, similar to M1EP vs M1.
For normal service intervals I would not spend more for PUP. Regular PP is a good product and will work just fine. Nice rebate.

I see PUP as the EP product while PP is the standard top-tier synthetic from SOPUS, similar to M1EP vs M1.
For normal service intervals I would not spend more for PUP. Regular PP is a good product and will work just fine. Nice rebate.
I agree. I was just curious if there was anything new with it.

Pennzoil never recommends extended intervals, it's More Like Valvoline EP vs Valvoline AS, it's supposed to be a superior to the standard but not meant for extended intervals.

Every couple of weeks, there is a sale of Pennzoil Platinum oil. They are sold in 5 Litre bottles.

• $29 CAD for the Platinum ($21.85 USD at current exchange rates)
  • $33 CAD for the Platinum Ultra ($24.87 USD at current exchange rates)
  • Not relevant, but the Platinum Euro is $31 CAD ($23.36 USD at current exchange rates)

Pennzoil also has a $10 CAD a bottle refund that all 3 of the above are eligible for.

I'm wondering, is it worth it to buy the Ultra Platinum?

A quick search and I see the following, which doesn't really answer the question:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4977071/pennzoil-ultra-platinum-enigma
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4990292/pennzoil-ultra-platinum-5w30

What I'm not sure about is what is in the Ultra Platinum that sets it apart from the ordinary platinum.

In my case, the oil must meet API Service SM / ILSAC GF-4 and that is it. It does not appear to be strict. A Hyundai tech told me that 5w-30 is the best oil to use (the cap says 5w-20, but he says that is for fuel economy and 5w-30 is a better choice for engine wear).

What I am interested to know is, would it be best if I was using the Platinum or paying extra for the Ultra Platinum?
In my personal opinion which for some odd reason is not really shared by many, PUP is a really good shelf oil, and at $24/5qts it’s definitely worth a solid consideration.

I previously ran PUP 5w20 out as far as 17.1k in my 2011 Fusion (2.5 MZR engine) but I got there by being methodical with UOAs and watching viscosity and TBN. It was thickening up a little (was essentially a 30wt oil at 17k) but all other oil characteristics were fine.

Pick whichever viscosity you want, and run it to the mfr recommended distance. Pull a sample without draining & send for UOA, then post the results here and make a serviceability decision on the oil, that way you minimize wasted oil.

Back