2019 GMC Sierra - Rear view mirror is new tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was driving behind one of these tonight and noticed that their rear view mirror was unusually bright for the time of day.

Turns out the new ones actually use a digital rear view mirror that uses a rear-facing camera.

Pretty neat. I just hope it has zero lag.

[Linked Image from img.autobytel.com]

https://www.autobytel.com/gmc/sierr...o-know-about-the-2019-gmc-sierra-132556/

I like it - wide angle - pillars and back seat passengers don't block the view.
Once had a fridge in the back of my truck and if not for the rear camera I would have backed over a guy who decided to sip his convenience store coffee behind my truck
(while waiting for his employee to fill their company truck).

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Digital windshield next?

With a VR headset and multiple cameras cars won't need glass at all.

That's actually not a bad point from a safety perspective. It would be absolutely claustrophobic but would really eliminate a major weak point on every vehicle.

I bet it saves the OEM money. Are reverse cameras not required on new vehicles? If so, this provides the reverse camera while eliminating the "redundant" rear view mirror, perhaps? Whether or not this is the way things should be going in the first place is, of course, a different debate altogether.

Currently the display size, location, and resolution varies from vehicle to vehicle - but another thing I like about the "camera mirror" is how it further trains the mind and eye to always look where it did for years and years before - and not back and forth between a dash screen and the mirror. I'm sure outside mirrors must remain fairly normal since they can get damaged or stolen so easily - however they are certainly holding more electronics in them
I'd be happy to keep those as glass mirrors - belts and suspenders

Escalade had this for a while - but the one I rode in had surround vision so the monitor is also able to grab views in several directions around the SUV

It's a really good idea, especially on a truck. Cargo or cap can render the inside rearview useless.

Interesting. I wonder how much it drives the cost of the car up. And how much it would cost to repair or replace once the car warranty is up. And if it is an option you can elect to have or not to have.

That's a good idea-the two company Transit 250s I've had would have been good for that, people like to tailgate in your blind spot (mainly right on the back bumper, where they're basically invisible) and then shoot around with no warning. Makes interstate driving more stressful than it already should be, which is pretty bad!

I see no need for this and it is just one more silicon board to fail out or glitch out if anything on the canbus has a hiccup.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Currently the display size, location, and resolution varies from vehicle to vehicle - but another thing I like about the "camera mirror" is how it further trains the mind and eye to always look where it did for years and years before - and not back and forth between a dash screen and the mirror.

BINGO! What a concept! When moving keep looking out that clear thing in front. Truly technology lost to Gen Xers and mellinials

Only if it defaults to a normal mirror when the camera gets snow,ice or fogged. We get blowing wet sticky snow and ice here that renders rear cameras useless

Originally Posted by Danno
Our 2019 RAV4 Hybrid has that type of mirror, goes from normal mirror to digital by flipping the lever under the mirror.

I was going to ask if it can be switched to a regular mirror, thanks for posting this.

If the mirror can serve as both a screen and a normal mirror, then it is a pretty good design and I like it.

I like ‘em and they do offer advantages. However the eye focus distance is much closer as a screen than as a mirror. Takes my eyes a fraction of second to focus on the screen. Resolution is not good enough to see cop cars in the distance behind you. Even when zoomed.

I bought a cheapo setup from Amazon and put it into my truck. The truck has a smoked rear window--and then I put on a topper which has... another smoked piece of glass. Has to be middle of the day or someone has to have their headlights on for the rearview mirror to work--and let's face it, full sized truck has little rearward visibility as a rule. Is a nice & cheap upgrade. I did install a camera into my enclosed trailer and use that to help back up the trailer, that's a nice upgrade too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back