Caliper Recommendations for 2002 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 4x4 Tacoma needs new calipers as they are currently starting to stick and drag on the rotors (front wheels don't spin freely). I know there are kits to rebuild them, but with 235K miles and rust from Minnesota winters, I'm afraid that might not be worth it. The Toyota OEM calipers are pushing $300 each. Rockauto has a few but unsure which brand would be best....I don't mind paying for quality. I read NAPA has rebuilt OEM calipers, but I haven't had the best of luck with NAPA parts.

Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by 50jeffrey
Uh, all rebuilds are from OEM cores.

That's a marketing claim we take on face value too often. In my experience with several of those for Land Cruisers, they were cheap castings from a Chicom molds knock-offs. one was not even fitting right. Tried a few times: correct casting numbers and all that, but you could see a horrible metallurgy from a mile. Some boots were dislocated, some were not polished, etc. Various 'brands', including the ones that swear they use OE cores.

Just a warning. NAPA Eclipse line was OK. Or a rebuild from a dealer is a second best choice aside from a new one.

Deal locally only. I made a mistake ordering from Rock once. Was stuck with a wrong part and it took a week of emailing back and forth with pictures and measurements to prove that the part was defective. The same happened once with a defective/wrong rotor: correct part number with a wrong hat height dimensions. One out of four was wrong and it had scuff marks from a previous customer also trying to fit the wrong part on his vehicle.

Originally Posted by madibob
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Get the Raybestos Opti-cal calipers. They are new, not rebuilt and no core charge.

Are these now called the ELEMENT3 calipers?

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/products/calipers/element3-calipers.html

Yes, that's them. They must have changed the name recently. Rockauto carries them for the 05 Matrix but I didn't see them for the 02 Tacoma. But I had to guess on the trim level.

I would have them restored at either Goldline Brakes or PMB Performance. I have had excellence service and product from both places.

You might also consider buying a set of calipers from a Toyota dismanteler in a dry/no salt part of the country and having them shipped to Goldline or PMB. This is what I did for the Volvo 240 calipers I had restored at Goldline.

Quite a few people with first gen Tacoma's and 3rd gen 4Runner's, like to do the 1st gen Tundra brake mod. Which consists of either the 199 mm rotors and calipers, or the more popular 231 mm rotors and calipers from a 1st gen Tundra, swapped onto their Tacoma or 4Runner.

If you have 15" wheels you'd have to upgrade to at least 16's to fit the larger rotors and calipers, and in some cases 17" wheels.

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
I would have them restored at either Goldline Brakes or PMB Performance. I have had excellence service and product from both places.

You might also consider buying a set of calipers from a Toyota dismanteler in a dry/no salt part of the country and having them shipped to Goldline or PMB. This is what I did for the Volvo 240 calipers I had restored at Goldline.

yes, Goldline are semi-local to me and they make the rebuilt calipers better than new ones

New calipers from the dealer, not the Chinese ones.

All of the rebuilt ones are a crapshoot.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Cardone Ultra Premium rebuilt calipers and the Raybestos ELEMENT3 new calipers on family and friend vehicles. Unlike most store brand calipers, they are both coated to prevent weather corrosion and function well.

I think the rebuilt ones are a rebuild of whatever core gets returned. If an oem gets returned it's an oem rebuild if a Chinese caliper gets returned they rebuild the Chinese caliper.

The postage for returning a core can be hefty. For an old Suburban it was more than the core was worth.

Rebuilding a caliper is not like rebuilding an engine. Its pretty straight forward. New seal & piston, after its cleaned & honed.

If you can afford them, new from the dealer. All the reman ones are a crapshoot. Recently, I've gone through 2 calipers for a now-junked Mitsu and an ex-friend's Tahoe.

Otherwise, rebuild the OEM caliper.

Originally Posted by nthach
If you can afford them, new from the dealer. All the reman ones are a crapshoot. Recently, I've gone through 2 calipers for a now-junked Mitsu and an ex-friend's Tahoe.

Otherwise, rebuild the OEM caliper.

Originally Posted by The Critic
New calipers from the dealer, not the Chinese ones.

All of the rebuilt ones are a crapshoot.

Nobody offers NEW OEM calipers, except GM. Absolutely no other manufacturer offers brand NEW OEM calipers. Only reman, and usually by Cardone
mad.gif
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back