Ecoboost filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2018 Escape with a 2.0L Ecoboost engine in it. I plan on doing 5k oil changes with 5w30 Napa Full Synthetic. My filter choices are a Motorcraft FL910s or a Napa Gold 1348. Which would be better for my usage?

Last edited:
I have a fusion 2.0. I use the FL910s with 5,000 oil changes. I've also considered the Fram extra guard ph3614 since it now has a silicone ADBV and the efficiency rating is better than the motocraft. I'll admit I'm concerned with Purolator made filters in general, I've used the Fram extra guards in the past they don't always look pretty but they filter well.

while the FL910S has been a solid filter, I personally won't use any Purolator made filter.
Just a bad run for them over too many filters with multiple problems.

But in reality, use either, both will serve the vehicle well if changed on a regular basis.

I'd like to try a fram ultra on this car but I'm afraid that it's such a good filter that it will restrict oil flow and cause problems.

No issue with flow. Find something else to be afraid of.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I'd like to try a fram ultra on this car but I'm afraid that it's such a good filter that it will restrict oil flow and cause problems.

This is a MYTH!

The synthetic media has/is BETTER depth filtration than a cellulose (paper) media which is primarily SURFACE area filtration.

The flow through the synthetic media will be better than a paper filter.

Originally Posted by Linctex

This is a MYTH!

The synthetic media has/is BETTER depth filtration than a cellulose (paper) media which is primarily SURFACE area filtration.

The flow through the synthetic media will be better than a paper filter.

Yeah, the misconception of "high efficiency filters choke oil flow" has been going on for decades. It will never die it seems.

Maybe the Fram Ultra porosity has been notched up a little too high in the threads over time. If it was a super fine filter it would restrict and the bypass would open. It is better according to multi pass test than some, but it isn't like it is this magic cleaner that leaves nothing behind. The dangers of over selling a product.

These days high efficiency doesn't automatically mean high flow restriction. The subject has been talked about for years, and many sources saying full synthetic is efficient and high flowing at the same time. Even the old yellow PureOne filters (not even full synthetic media) were high efficiency and flowed very well, as shown by the date provided by Purolator. That PureOne filter restriction tale was an ongoing misconception for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back