6.7 powerstroke cab off repair work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just sharing another project at work. Vehicle is a 2011 F350 6.7 rescue. This truck had a reman ford engine in it and it has been consuming antifreeze and over pressurizing the cooling system since the day it wasn't installed. However, the warranty through ford was void due to the fact it is tuned and deleted. Enjoy the pictures. I'll get some actual pictures of the gasket failure tomorrow. Total time to get to this point was about 9 hours.

F02BAB92-E837-4852-9570-F4412AE8EF02.jpeg

3E443D04-C1DB-42A1-9DB0-757110B0ADD5.jpeg

F5EED71A-9A30-484B-9B40-6C9167C17BF3.jpeg

447DB412-FAB8-4864-A45E-D1DB2C6B73F5.jpeg

96460D9A-DFD1-470E-8106-184238072228.jpeg

FFED2E49-5DFA-4B4F-AE38-BF5AE71F9F32.jpeg

51A753CF-41C4-4CBA-AC0A-E905F499C9F6.jpeg

Why would a city want to do a delete and tune, especially since goverment agencies are no more exempt from emissions laws as common citizens?

Those rocker arms look skinny for the kind of engine it is. Forged steel ones?

I'll have to look tomorrow again never really paid attention to the material. I want to say they are cast but I'll confirm tomorrow. The rocker arms have not been an issue on these engines.

It's deleted because they were having so many problems with the emissions system when it was new with breaking down and not restarting with patients on board. Ford at the time did not have a fix for it (EGT sensor/programming) There are also no emission testing for vehicles over 8600 lbs in the state of Rhode Island

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
I'll have to look tomorrow again never really paid attention to the material. I want to say they are cast but I'll confirm tomorrow. The rocker arms have not been an issue on these engines.

It's deleted because they were having so many problems with the emissions system when it was new with breaking down and not restarting with patients on board. Ford at the time did not have a fix for it (EGT sensor/programming) There are also no emission testing for vehicles over 8600 lbs in the state of Rhode Island

Nice pictures and work sir
smile.gif

Thanks. This took about 2-3 hours over a normal truck due to the amount of wiring and components that had to be separated from the cab to chassis and cab to body.

Thanks for posting, nice work! Tuned and deleted voided the warranty, no surprise there. It's a shame it had to be done in the first place to get it to run right. As much as I like diesel engines with their emissions systems I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole.
27.gif
We almost pulled the trigger on a Jeep GC with the VM diesel until I started doing my homework and passed.

I would imagine the regens were killing the engine with the amount of idling that it would undoubtedly be doing. The reason that Ford balked at the CK-4 oils and the reduction of phosphorus was the rocker arms in the 6.7L. I do not remember where I read it, but Ford stated that less than 1000PPM phosphorus would lead to long term rocker arm wear/failure. I am glad I sold mine when I did.

The original engine was tired at 25000 hours with about 17000 idle hours. The engine was teplaced about 10 months ago. The trucks that are deleted have had no problems over the past several years.

Last edited:
Not sure if they want to spring for it, but the Mishimoto radiators for the 6.7 are really nice. The radiator for the EGR and intercooler have billet t-stat housings. They also make boost pipes that eliminate the one spring lock on the hose that always blows up under boost and are a week out from Ford.

The primary radiator isn't that old (replaced original) and believe it or not the secondary is original and still going. The charge pipes were just replaced with factory ones. Getting P.O. numbers is tough for that kind of stuff (mishimoto) however I do agree that it is nice. However this truck WILL be getting arp studs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
We almost pulled the trigger on a Jeep GC with the VM diesel until I started doing my homework and passed.

The Liberty had the VM Motori 2.8 diesel. GC has a Mercedes V6 if I recall.

About 35 hours labor and 2000$ in parts with the head studs plus machine work

Couple more pictures of the fuel rails

DAE549A9-8D12-4EE0-8B68-BDF0B0E27836.jpeg

AD82EB94-E807-4A35-BF21-6D5A89EF4D6A.jpeg

Last edited:
The primary radiator isn't that old (replaced original) and believe it or not the secondary is original and still going. The charge pipes were just replaced with factory ones. Getting P.O. numbers is tough for that kind of stuff (mishimoto) however I do agree that it is nice. However this truck WILL be getting arp studs.

ARP studs are totally worth it. No Ford diesel should have the heads put back on without them IMHO.

Completely agree. I did find poor workmanship and uneven torque on the cylinder heads from the reman engine. Several bolts were WAY too tight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by demarpaint

The Liberty had the VM Motori 2.8 diesel. GC has a Mercedes V6 if I recall.

The GC and Ram had the VM 3.0 diesel, in 2016 when we were looking. IIRC they still use it.

So this was at least the second engine in this ambulance? Any idea how many miles and/or hours on each engine?

When I was looking at pickups, it was between either the RAM or Ford. The GM's simply weren't rated high enough for the capacity I needed. I went with the RAM as the Ford still had known issues with the HPFP and other areas.

No problems with my RAM to date.

Thanks for the pics.

It's deleted because they were having so many problems with the emissions system when it was new with breaking down and not restarting with patients on board. Ford at the time did not have a fix for it (EGT sensor/programming)

I was hearing something about that - either the EGT sensor itself or the code for monitoring EGT and EGR was bad and caused certain 6.7s to shut down, especially in ambulance use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back