talk to me about security cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need of an indoor camera and about three outdoor cameras with the ability to log on via smart phone app an home computer, also the ability to save data. I recently had two well known security companies come out and both required hard wire power to the cameras, this is not possible. Im wondering if there are any suggestions of equipment that is battery powered and connected via wifi. This is for a residential home owned not rented. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated, links to products as well, thanks.

Ring. I have a Doorbell and 2 Spotlight cameras. Mine are hard wired, but they sell battery and solar versions. The connect through wifi and I pay $100/yr for their app that saves every event and lets me view any camera real time.

I've used zmodo wireless wifi cameras for a while and have liked them. They do all the things you want.

You have to remember that these cloud based cameras save to external servers. So if you plan to have one inside your home, remember all that footage will go to a third party.

As far as power going to cameras, the newer ones require only one cat5 or 6 cable to do both the data and power transfer. Running one cable should not be a problem, may be difficult but not impossible in some areas.
The plus is that the footage is all yours and saved to a hard drive instead of cloud.

Wifi cameras are also a good option, but you either have to keep changing the batteries, or run a power cable. Not much different than running a cat5 cable

Last edited:
I have a solar-powered Reolink Argus 2 monitoring the back yard. I have it mounted about 12 feet above ground level. It will capture me walking at the edge of the brick patio, and will capture the lawn tractor (hotter, cam uses IR for triggering) about 35 feet out.

In this pic, the upper right corner is about 150 feet away. Picture quality is excellent.

The cam uses a microSD card for storage, so reolink won't see your stuff.

https://imgur.com/a/hUofwgq

Last edited:
Very happy with my 2 Ring cameras. I replaced my front porch and side fixtures with the spotlight versions. Wasn't exactly cheap but they're awesome.

They have battery versions that can last a couple weeks on a charge. Just pop in a new battery. Or solar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back