post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2014 Nissan Frontier, 5-speed Jatco box, ~60K. Out was the Nissan-Matic S I used when the truck was at 30K and it was dark. In was 3.7 quarts of MaxLife. My adopted mom says her truck shifts as fine as ever, I told her to BOLO for any difference in shift feel, I'll pay for the real stuff.

Originally Posted by blupupher

New fluid on left, old on right. Looks purple?
[Linked Image]

But the Wix is made in Taiwan:
[Linked Image]

Sounds like there was still some of the OEM WS fill left over, and I can confirm it turns purple upon contact with air.

I'm a fan of the OEM filter, the patents Filtran had did expire but I trust the Filtran one better. It's something I would change once and not need to touch again. For some reason, the filter on the Lexus 6-speed RWD boxes is a Roki felt-based one.

2017 Kia Rio 1.6L
Miles @ change: 74320
Out: 4qt ~50/50 mix of OEM and Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF
Miles on oil: roughly 25,000 since last swap

In: 1qt Pennzoil Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic ATF + 3qt of (1/2qt STP transmission HM stop+slip (18416) & 3 qt Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic ATF)

I did my 08 Jeep JK's NSG370 the other day with Valvoline Synchromesh. Today, I did the Aisin D478 in the 2018 Jeep JL, with Napa (Valvoline) ATF+4. I then did the JL's transfer case with mostly Valvoline and topped off with Castrol ATF+4 fluids.

The Aisin is MUCH easier for getting the drain plug off than the NSG370, which has the exhuast in the way, requiring a fabricated hex tool. The Aisin is a straight and easy shot with a 24mm socket.

I did the Aisin at 20k, which drained off the factory fill. The NSG was a Chrysler reman unit with about 16k on it, again, which drained off the dealership fill. (They don't fill the remans at the factory.)

2007 Kia Rio 1.6L 124k miles

Out: 3.5 qts of unknown fluid

In: 3.4 qts idemitsu hk sp3 replacement+ 6oz lubegard red
Shift feel is unaffected.

2007 Acura TSX 84.5K Miles

Out: 3 quarts OEM + Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent blend
In 3 quarts Idemitsu

The transmission had never been serviced; I did it a few months back and again today.
Shifts so well and pulls better, especially at low speed.

Also pumped out PS and Brake fluid reservoirs.
Next time I will properly service the brake fluid. Easy $$.

Last edited:
Extracted just shy of 3 qts of ATF from the Mustang today with my new vacuum pump. The plan is to do this once a month until I put it away for the year in the fall. The old stuff is super dirty brown color, not burnt, just used up. I replaced what I removed with Carquest labeled Mercon V.

Lexus ES 330 2004, out I assume, the original T IV, 150000 miles. Oil had a stench to it but wasn't a scary black color. New filter. Pan was not sludged up at all, magnets didn't have a crazy amount of shavings. It's hard to figure because removing the pan is a "censored" as the engine has to be lifted in inorder for the pan to clear the subframe and there's no way this neglected car had this done. Adding to the mystery, the filter looked great, almost not worth changing. Must be that magical Toyota engineering. In: Maxlife red jug, about 5 quarts.

Pumped out nearly 4 quarts from our 2016 Soul ! using the line to the radiator cooler, no mess at all. Car has 60.8K. Replaced it with Kia's Type 4 (M)@$10.79 qt. from Sansones Rt. 66 Kia/Nissan. I plan on draining another quart or two in the near future. I also found some routing for a Magnafine filter@$26.00 shipped right from Magnafine. Parts guy indicated that it is a 7 qt capacity total, I'll sleep at night just fine with another 1-2 quart drain and refill. Will check back in 60K! Oh and by the way, I bought the $.94 gasket for the drain plug. Using the above method, no gasket required.

2010 BMW E90 328i X-drive, 180k.

Drained whatever the [censored] was in there, filled with 2L of Redline MT-LV, and new fill and drain plugs of course. The ones that were in there were obviously reused. Had to use vice grips to get the fill plug off.

Can't believe how much better the shifting feels already. And experience has shown me, it will only get better as it gets some miles on it.

Last edited:
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 L 67k and 5R44E

Out: assuming factory fill and filter. 3.25-3.5 quarts and filter.

In: 3.5 quarts of Castrol Mercon V and duralast filter and gasket. Will be pumping a few more quarts through the dipstick tube and refilling with Castrol Merc V.

Last edited:
My wife has a Nissan Juke, and I want to do everything to prolong its life. So, I bought a vacuum fluid pump to do the trans. It work great and did 2 different sessions of about 31/2 qts of Castol Cvt fluid. It smelled terrible, but seems much better now. i will do another round in the near future.

‘15 Mazda 6. ~78k miles. New to me. Drain and fill.

-Out with whatever was in it.
-In with Mazda FZ ATF, 3 qts + 22 ozs.

Old fluid was pretty dark. Also a bit purple-ish. New FZ is blue in color. I'll probably repeat once, _maybe_ twice, shortly.

2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7

Did the spill and fill. 108k
Out : 4 qts WS (front was in ramps)
In: 4 qts Valvoline Maxlife ATF

2018 Ford Escape 2.5l 6F35 with 11k

Out: factory MERCON LV
In: 4 gallons of Amsoil SS Fuel-Efficient w/ multiple fill/drain
[Linked Image]

Did my 2010 E550 drain, filter, fill. Used Meyle filter+gasket, and Shell ATF134 as specified. New aluminum trans pan bolts.

It was pretty hilarious; I could not get the fill-tube in the pan loose, so I was going to drop the pan hydramatic-style. Well, things got caught up and I had a used trans fluid shower. That meant fluid coming out didn't measure because all that stuff is now on the shop floor, and I had a great time filling, overflowing, running, and re-filling the transmission. I ended up using twice as much fluid as I should have (like over 8 qts), but I suppose the good is that more of the old fluid came out than would have otherwise. I am sure glad it was on a hoist for all that.

Lessons:
1. Drain pan overflow tube, get it out even if you break it, it's why you replace it.
2. For the red fluid 722.9 transmissions, they're not kidding about the service interval; they'll cook the fluid on an E550, mine was brown at 20k miles over (last changed at 50k by dealer per the record, this change was at 120k miles).
3. You'll want to change the filter/strainer.

Originally Posted by Ctopher

2018 Ford Escape 2.5l 6F35 with 11k

Out: factory MERCON LV
In: 4 gallons of Amsoil SS Fuel-Efficient w/ multiple fill/drain
[Linked Image]

Looks dark for 11k, but I suppose might be normal with the motorcraft. Good on you for changing early ðŸ‘

Back