modem in 1 room want phone in another room

Status
Not open for further replies.
The phone service in our home is provided by our cable company. The modem is placed in a spare bedroom. I have a cordless phone set which the home base needs to be plugged into the modem. I would like to have the base in the kitchen area but would like to keep the modem upstairs in the spare bedroom. Is there some way to do this short of running a wire from the bedroom to kitchen preferably via bluetooth or some equivalent??

Buy a second handset for the phone. It will include a simple base that charges the handset. Place this in the kitchen so you can park the phone there and keep it charged. The signal that operates the phone will still come from upstairs.

Do you have phone jacks in the home? If you do, plugging in the telephone line from the modem to a phone jack will power up the other jacks in the home. If you have NID device from the phone company on the side of your home, you may need to disconnect the phone company's lines from your home. Those boxes are put on homes to techs can test to see if the problem is in your home or on their line.

If you home is wired for phone service, if you "backfeed" a jack in the room with the modem, you can plug in phones in other jacks in the home.

I had AT&T uVerse and that is how we did it when we had a land line. The gateway is in my office and feeds the phone jack in there. But the base/answering machine portion of my cordless phone system was in the kitchen. We just plugged in into the jack there and it all worked just fine.

http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/telco-basics/

The cable company should go out to the demarc point for the POTS provider and disconnect the wiring pair or RJ12 jack(s) from the telco side of the NID/station protector. Then your tech can backfeed off the cable modem's voice ports to your house from the nearest phone jack.

If you have a regular phone jack in your bedroom or near enough run a phone wire directly from modem to that wall phone jack.

I assume you have a wall phone jack in kitchen plug, if yes connect your cordless phone to that.

There are pairs of cordless phones that operate over ac wiring, only one needs to be physically attached to the phone line, the other just plugs in an outlet anywhere in the house.

I think most modern home phones can "talk" to each other wirelessly. I'm not even sure how they do it, if it's through the power lines or some proprietary 'wireless'. Here's an example:

https://smile.amazon.com/VTech-LS6425-3-Expandable-Cordless-Answering/dp/B004OA6X6C?sa-no-redirect=1

You say the phone has to be plugged into the modem but I'm certain you can run a phone cord from the modem to a telephone wall jack and then connect the base unit to a phone jack in the kitchen. Do you have jacks in (most of) your rooms ? For the other phones, I was going to say not to connect them to phone jacks, but they don't even have phone cords !

Just get a new phone that has multiple phones and 1 base.

leave base in room with modem.. use other phone in kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back