AC Belt Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking 2015 F150 5.0 38k miles.

I usually turn my AC/heater off prior to turning off my engine. We use this truck mostly for family trips and when I want to take a trip for me. She gets easy miles; engine hours are basically 860 hours with 108 idle. Truck turns 5 years old first week of September. This summer I've had a few loud squeals when I first turn on the AC. The belt is not showing any signs of wear and the AC is a ok output wise. Is this indicative of a stretched belt? Belt tensioner? Is there a tensioner on the AC?

Wondering what to look for before I dig into it.

Belt can look good but the grooves have worn too wide and it is no longer gripped in the V of the pully. And the tensioner can fail. Replace both is best route. As far as car repairs go, this is inexpensive.

Rod

I've had belts stretch to the max point of the tensioner, with no other evidence of age. I've also seen tensioners that freeze in place from corrosion.

Exercise the tensioner and look at the limit indicator of the tensioner. This will tell you whether you have one of these problems.

I should have asked when I posted.....

Are Gatorbacks still the cats meow? What belt recommendation?

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I should have asked when I posted.....

Are Gatorbacks still the cats meow? What belt recommendation?

Continental took over Goodyear's belt business and called them Continental Elite, but they phased them out starting last year
mad.gif

If you're lucky, you might be able to find remaining Elite stock
smile.gif

This one seems to be a remaining stock Gatorback/Elite

Bando also makes good belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back