Oil for my 2006 5.9 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hit 100k miles on the truck in my sig, I've always ran CJ4 15W40 at 5-6k intervals. I just went to Wal Mart and was trying to decide between the Mobil Delvac 15W40 CK4 for 10.97 a gallon, and the Motorcraft 15W40 which has the 1000 ppm phosphorus, which Im assuming is CJ4 spec, for 18.68 for a 5 quart jug.

I ended up going with the Delvac CK4, my question is, should I return it and get the Motorcraft? Will the Motorcraft be that much better in terms of wear protection, or will the Delvac work just fine?

I'm not hard on this truck, it never goes past 75 mph on the rare interstate trip I do take..lives an easy life.

http://pqiadata.org/Valvoline_15W40.html

^I would try this Valvoline white bottle 15w-40 it looks really good on paper for a CK4/SN 1,100 ppm phosphorus.

Walmart had it on clearance for $3 per gallon it looks like its still available online for $9.50. Try a purchase online and return in store and re-buy at counter?

Additionally Napa 15w-40 made by Valvoline has an identical VOA.

I would get the Supertech its zinc/phos levels are great even at ck4 spec, I think the delvac CK4 is down around 800ppm on both...

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Consider Rotella 15w-40?

Yep... any of the older 15W-40 oils from the Majors would do fine.
I would use Shell Rotella T4 15W-40. It's pretty much available everywhere.
If you can find it, look for CJ-4 formulation Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40.
Even Valvoline Premium Blue or their White Bottle in 15W-40 would do great.

And Chris142 is right. Your truck will fall apart around that Cummins engine.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mobilaltima
... my question is, should I return it and get the Motorcraft? Will the Motorcraft be that much better in terms of wear protection, or will the Delvac work just fine?

Your engine will never know the difference between the two. Never, ever.
Or use the ST brand; just as effective.
Buy whichever is least expensive.

Last edited:
In my diesels I have been using Vavoline blue bottle15w40, I like it because you can always find it cheap and it is a great product. Plus for your application it is Cummins approved
smile.gif

Last edited:
I used own a 2002 F350 Super Duty with the very reliable 7.3 Power Stroke then made for Ford by International. It was a fantastic motor, trouble free and very easy to work on. It held 15 quarts of oil with that huge oil filter sitting at the bottom of the motor and very easy to get to. I used the Motor Craft 15w40 and always had good results. As you know, the Motor Craft oil was made for Ford at that time by Conoco- Phillips and was engineered to satisfy the needs of the Power Stroke due to the injection system that would sheer the oil.

I now have a 2011 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins and use the Rotella T6 all year. If it wasn't for some of the cold months, I would have no issue using Motor Craft 15w40 in my Ram.

As long as you use a 15w40 that meets the requirements along with a good oil filter and change the oil and filter as required, you shouldn't have any issues.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Consider Rotella 15w-40?

Yep... any of the older 15W-40 oils from the Majors would do fine.
I would use Shell Rotella T4 15W-40. It's pretty much available everywhere.
If you can find it, look for CJ-4 formulation Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40.
Even Valvoline Premium Blue or their White Bottle in 15W-40 would do great.

And Chris142 is right. Your truck will fall apart around that Cummins engine.

Good luck.

Did I say Valvoline "white bottle?" Oops... nobody's perfect. Valvoline's diesel oils are fine business...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back