Got my first BS sample kit - now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI guys.

Background story. My wife ran way over her OCI last time on the impreza crosstrek, and she has a (likely worthless) Lifetime Engine Service Contract that requires all maintenance be done - per the Subaru maintenance schedule in the OM by a qualified shop or individual.
So just in case some questions come up in the near future, I want to have an analysis of this oil sample from the long OCI. I think it was around 9500 miles /5 months; I do have the exact mileage and date of all OCI's in her OM which is in her car at this minute.

Questions:

I collected the sample in a clean Nalgene lab bottle I had, and I plan to pour this into the BS bottle provided.
Now on the BS video they say no tape is wanted or needed on the sample bottle - but how about the outer shipping bottle?

1) Do you guys usually wrap some electrical tape or ?? around the lid to keep curious postal sorters from opening this thing up?

2) On the Engine Slip sample form, What do you put for :

- Unit I.D ___________., Engine Make__________; Model ____________

I can sort of guess on the Engine make, But I'm not sure what they want for Unit I.D. Id like to be consistent with the other big samplers here.

I will also be sure to share results when I get them.!

Thank, Ken.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
No tape required anywhere according to BS, but I still put a single wide strip of duct tape over the top of the outside black bottle.

Paperwork - make is Subaru and I would put Crosstrek, and somewhere in there (unit id) put "new unit".

Looking forward to the results--- what oil was used and for how many miles?

I'm one of those weirdos that don't use the outer bottle but place the inner/sample bottle inside the zip-lock bag wrapped in the piece of oil absorbent material that does/did come in the test kit. I seem to have small boxes from other stuff I buy and figure it looks less of a problem to the USPS. However, others have mentioned the address will cause issues in some places. However, I recall the Unit ID field is for those wanting to use it in case they send multiple samples or track multiple vehicles. Per their website: For the Unit Number field, please identify what you'd like to call this engine (e.g., Truck 1, Old Blue, 2015 Civic).

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/sampling-procedures/gas-sampling/

Yes, usually there's some absorbent mat and a small plastic bag. So really 4 layers of protection for the sample which seems like enough to me. Never had an issue over the 3x or so that I've done it.

Thank You!

That was Valvoline Advanced Syn 0W20 with a cup of 5W20 Magnetec makeup at about 7500 miles. about 9500 total. Nothing really crazy. She is not a short tripper. It wasn't using oil . I only put 5qt Jug in where 5.3 is required originally for the OC.

Last edited:
Some of the info they are looking for is to identify the vehicle if you had a fleet.

I always like to get a TBN, but I know BS charges extra.

UOA are really best for trends. A single UOA does not provide that much useful info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
... ...

I always like to get a TBN, but I know BS charges extra.

UOA are really best for trends. A single UOA does not provide that much useful info.

I plan on paying the $10 for TBN. I Just want a hopefully good comment from Blackstone saying TBN is adequate and try for 12K next time. But maybe it will be bad news
frown.gif

This is just in case the service manager says, " You went way over the OCI and ruined the engine - Warranty Denied !." And Ill have the oil analysis in my back pocket. From my experience on this forum,taking into account the way the car is driven ( most all destinations are over 35 miles) and reading many UOA, I'm not expecting a bottomed out TBN # or KV100 below 7cSt.

In another thread, I mentioned the engine has one real noisy injector, and the engine feels rough on hard acceleration where it hasn't in the past.

Last edited:
If I were the contract writer I would say "How do I know that oil sample came from the insured car". I think all these policies try not to pay for repairs and will use any excuse to deny a claim. You can do the oil analysis but expect trouble if you make a claim, which I hope you never need to.

Last edited:
Well speaking from my experience with shipments to BS. Unless you don't mind a delay or want to save a few dollars on postage. I would consider sending your sample not in the provided black bottle but in a different box.

I've had the last three samples delayed in shipment probably on some inspection desk for days. The BS bottle is no doubt a flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back