Replaced alternator but kept belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
'06 Camry has been squealing for the last 8+ years. The serpentine belt squeal was so bad in the month or so before the alternator completely gave up. The belt would be constantly squealing anytime the car would be in motion. At a stop light, everyone would be looking at my car. The original alternator finally completely died one night and I decided to replace the alternator.

I would have replaced the belt, but the, um, unhelpful workers at AutoZone sold me the wrong serpentine belt. As a result, I ended up reusing the old serpentine belt.

To my surprise, the squeal is gone! I remember checking the old Denso alternator for play in the pulley, and I found none. The old alternator's pulley spun smoothly. It didn't catch anywhere. It didn't grind. It didn't wobble. It had 0 play.

What happened exactly?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Elkins45
The bearing in the alternator was squealing.

Or, it was causing enough resistance to get the belt to squeal.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
The bearing in the alternator was squealing.

So the bearing was shot but there wasn't any play in the pulley? I thought that bad bearings always meant play/looseness.

Also, does this mean I just exchanged a quality denso alternator for a cheap parts store alternator when all I had to do was change the bearings?

A good alt/starter rebuilder can usually diagnose and change what is needed.

Last edited:
You can spin the pulley by hand, but once you add a significant side load (as the belt would) I bet it will squeal again. So yes this is a bearing failure. Also remember that the electrical system puts a load on the alternator which is in addition to the side load from the belt.

Definitely change the belt asap, they are cheap enough and there is reason to believe yours is damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back