ULSD and HPFP's

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ULSD is capped at 15ppm for on road vehicles. Do the latest HPFP's run ok on this without added lubricity added at the terminal/truck/station? If you got a batch of ULSD fuel that was without additives would you harm your older or newer HPFP?

Un-additized ULSD will cause excessive wear on the fuel system and could also have a low cetane rating which results in poor starting performance.

I always find these threads interesting. So do the majority of all diesel owners use an additive, or is there a large percentage of failures on fuel pumps? I don't imagine most owners use an additive, do they? Don't they just fuel and go like everyone else? If so, how long can you go before there is a failure of pump?

Seems so odd that a change in fuel composition was made that essentially damages a significant percentage of the trucks in existence.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I always find these threads interesting. So do the majority of all diesel owners use an additive, or is there a large percentage of failures on fuel pumps? I don't imagine most owners use an additive, do they? Don't they just fuel and go like everyone else? If so, how long can you go before there is a failure of pump?

Seems so odd that a change in fuel composition was made that essentially damages a significant percentage of the trucks in existence.

IMO there is an opinion that fuel systems used in light passenger cars/trucks are less robust (Ex, VW TDI's had a rash of HPFP failures back in 2011 or so) AND/OR European diesels almost always call for Cetane of 51 or more. IIRC US diesel is spec'd at a min of 40 and real-world testing usually came in around 45-48.

Since diesel pumps in my area never indicated a cetane of 51 or more let alone bio-diesel concentration, I always used an additive which contained a cetane booster (2EHN) when I had my 335d for this very reason. I felt it would prolong the life of my DPF and I would realize slightly better experience via more complete combustion which would reduce EGR usage.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if the latest pumps are robust enough to withstand the lowest sulfur fuels in case they forgot to add the lubricity/cetane modifiers along the way. You are seeing failures of older pumps before their usual service life. VW's and their Bosch pumps seem to be the most issues although there are a goodly amount of Ford and GM horror stories too. Are the newest pumps immune?

So I fell prey to the Ford HPFP failure thread on another forum. So I add a small dose of Alliant ultraguard at every fill. I also try and use at least B5 if I can find it. Bio diesel is a good lubricant. I have about 200K on different Ford 6.7's and no issues. I think the issue is a little overblown but for sure the Bosch CP4 had some teething issues. I feel they got it sorted on the CP 4.2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back