VW Plastic Oil Drain Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
The newer VWs have a plastic drain plug that is removed by a quarter turn with a flat head screwdriver. There seems to be conflicting information about how many times this drain plug can be reused, so I am pinging fellow BITOG VW owners for advice.

Is it supposed to be replaced every OCI? If it is not to be replaced every OCI, how often should it be replaced or is it a lifetime part?

I think the general consensus is to replace it every time. They are under $5 (at my dealer anyways) so that's cheap insurance. Mine gets a new plug each oil change. I mean you replace the oil filter housing o-ring every time so why not the plug with new o-ring.

For those unfamiliar, this is what it looks like.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Delta
I think the general consensus is to replace it every time. They are under $5 (at my dealer anyways) so that's cheap insurance. Mine gets a new plug each oil change. I mean you replace the oil filter housing o-ring every time so why not the plug with new o-ring.

I'm fine replacing every OCI, nothing I hate more than when the drain plug falls in the drain pan! This takes that worry away.

If it was me I'd change it every few oil changes. I'd also always have an extra one on hand before you do an oil change just in case the current one breaks.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Is the oil pan plastic where the plug goes into? If so, wouldn't that wear out, too?

Yea the pans are plastic, but are way "harder" than the plugs. Time will tell I guess.

Just keep a spare. Eventually the plastic will get brittle and the slot for the screwdriver will wear. Then you need a new one. If it looks good and the oring is good, no wear, reinstall.

Rod

Originally Posted by newbe46
I suppose the heat cycle will make the plastic brittle over time?

Nonsense.
All plastics are wonderfully durable, even when compared to aluminum.
Lighter, cheaper to make, and durable!
Who could ask for anything more?
wink.gif

If you go to a aftermarket site for oil change kits they always include a new drain plug. Change it.

Remember a few years back when everyone was crying about the plastic intake manifolds? Don't know if anyone still builds a metal intake anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back