Ridiculously cheap API SN full synthetic oil. Too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Malaysia, i found this very popular Mizu full synthetic 5w40 oil. The price is only MYR57.80, half of branded oil like Petronas Syntium or Castrol edge which costs MYR 120.
It is locally blended engine oil.

I searched for mizu in API directory search, this oil is API SN certified.

Question: If the engine oil passes API tests means it's good to go? Would you pour this in your car?

Originally Posted by rangeseven
Question: If the engine oil passes API tests means it's good to go? Would you pour this in your car?

What car?

The car manufacturer determines what specs the oil must meet. Most car manufacturers these days have their own required specs that go beyond just basic API certification.

Now, if you have some old vehicle that's long past warranty, I would think you're not going to harm it with a quality 5W-40 synthetic.

If it's a familiar name and was listed on the API website.....go for it.

It may be a case of mismarked stock or mislabeling on a website. What is your source for this oil?

You may return to it and find the price revised or stock completely sold out.

Better get a move on......Best of luck.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by rangeseven

What car?

The car manufacturer determines what specs the oil must meet. Most car manufacturers these days have their own required specs that go beyond just basic API certification.

Now, if you have some old vehicle that's long past warranty, I would think you're not going to harm it with a quality 5W-40 synthetic.

My car is 2011 Proton Saga (Malaysian car lol) with 100k km at the odometer. In the manual it is only stated to use API SJ or better. This oil should qualify. However the cheap price makes me a bit reluctant.

Originally Posted by Kira
If it's a familiar name and was listed on the API website.....go for it.

It may be a case of mismarked stock or mislabeling on a website. What is your source for this oil?

You may return to it and find the price revised or stock completely sold out.

Better get a move on......Best of luck.

Mizu brand is not a familiar name, but it gives me confident that the oil is API SN certified. I found it in shopee or lazada website (something like Amazon) in the Mizu official store

If API shows it as passing their requirements and achieving certification independently of the manufacturer's information and claims, go for it.

Mizu appears to be a pretty small outfit. That doesn't mean the oil is not OK, but they probably are a local blender. Are you willing to take a risk if their quality is inconsistent? Your car is still low mileage and probably has many years remaining.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Their website is a Wordpress made one.

I smell something fishy. Stick with known and respected brands.

If you don't give a local blender a chance, there won't be any local blenders. If someone was making a truly counterfit oil they'd steal a name brand oil. Any way to contact them?

First you said, "Here in Malaysia, i found this very popular Mizu full synthetic 5w40 oil.". Then you say, "Mizu is not a familiar name..."

So which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back