Gen 2 ctsv...best oil opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a ‘14 cts-v wagon with 30k miles. Don't get to drive it much bc of work, but when I do it gets run pretty hard...no track as of yet, just canyon carving and the occasional road rally. To give an idea, got a worst tank of 7 mpg running around the hills by Lake Berryessa.

I've been using PUP 5w30 every 12mo/5k miles since new because of warranty...it was subjectively the best oil I could find that met dexos specs. Warranty is set to expire in November, so I'd like to run something more robust and that doesn't necessarily meet spec.

What would you guys consider the best fit for a fairly hard-driven LSA with price being no object? Leaning towards Redline 5w30 but open to suggestions.

Money no object? Well here's my opinion.

Amsoil - Anything SS series either 5w30 or 5w40

Redline - 5w30/40

Schaffers - Anything 5w30/40

Motul - 300V

Shell Helix - 5W30/40

Take take your pic. Since you push it hard and switch every 5k miles pick any. The above are fine (though Amsoil is a extended oil change interval oil, well the SS anyway).

————————————-

And then here are three much cheaper and easily accessible choices:

M1 - 0w40

Castrol - 0w40

Castrol 0w30 (check back, should say made in Belgium)

——————-
Oil filters (money no object)

-Amsoil
-Fram Ultra
-Royal Purple

Please keep in mind that your transmission fluid and diff fluid will be taking a beating too. So when it comes to those make sure you're using the best as well if money is no object. For transmission and Diff, I'd throw in Amsoil or Schaefer's, followed by Redline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Averroes

Redline - 5w30/40

Motul - 300V

Shell Helix - 5W30/40

Take take your pic. Since you push it hard and switch every 5k miles pick any. The above are fine (though Amsoil is a extended oil change interval oil, well the SS anyway).

————————————-

M1 - 0w40

Castrol - 0w40

——————-

-Amsoil
-Fram Ultra
-Royal Purple

Please keep in mind that your transmission fluid and diff fluid will be taking a beating too. So when it comes to those make sure you're using the best as well if money is no object. For transmission and Diff, I'd throw in Amsoil or Schaefer's, followed by Redline.

300v is top notch but not for long or even normal intervals.its more of a racing oil.

Originally Posted by Stickygreen
Car is a ‘14 cts-v wagon with 30k miles. Don't get to drive it much bc of work, but when I do it gets run pretty hard...no track as of yet, just canyon carving and the occasional road rally. To give an idea, got a worst tank of 7 mpg running around the hills by Lake Berryessa.

I've been using PUP 5w30 every 12mo/5k miles since new because of warranty...it was subjectively the best oil I could find that met dexos specs. Warranty is set to expire in November, so I'd like to run something more robust and that doesn't necessarily meet spec.

What would you guys consider the best fit for a fairly hard-driven LSA with price being no object? Leaning towards Redline 5w30 but open to suggestions.

i would go with redline or amsoil altho the m1 0w40 is known to be tough oil,but if it was my car redline all day.

Originally Posted by avi1777

Redline - 5w30/40

Motul - 300V

Shell Helix - 5W30/40

————————————-

M1 - 0w40

Castrol - 0w40

——————-

-Amsoil
-Fram Ultra
-Royal Purple

300v is top notch but not for long or even normal intervals.its more of a racing oil.

True, I'll edit that in. However look at these VOA and UOA on other sites, mind you the engine types are different.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/motul-300v-5w30-uoa-747908/

If he swaps it out before 4k miles, or even less he will be fine.

Redline - 5w30/40

Motul - 300V

Shell Helix - 5W30/40

————————————-

M1 - 0w40

Castrol - 0w40

——————-

-Amsoil
-Fram Ultra
-Royal Purple

do u mean shell helix ultra w30?
didnt know its good as the redline ex.

From my limited knowledge, the biggest failure mode on these (in a severe duty cycle) is piston fatigue failures.
So no high priced oil is going to have any effect there.
When tracking make sure your oil pressure is always good during high g cornering combined with braking/acceleration.

Yes just read about these LSA's needing a catch can. Will have to look into that. Have these suffered from oil starvation around corners? Was surprised to find these engines only take 6 qts of oil

Originally Posted by Stickygreen

What's up neighbor? I haven't been to berryessa for a long while, my question is do they still let you jump off the bridge? I probably been off that bridge 50 times. I used to race a 3 seat v drive up there with a crazy set of twin brothers, good ol times boy. They flipped it the week after we had a good 10 races the week before with me in the boat, nobody got hurt thanks god. Of course they were early morning runs, no way this thing could go this fast when it gets choppy. Well over 80mph, which of course on water is hualing it.

Nick at this place https://gotexhaust.com/ sells redline 5w30 under 12 bucks a qrt shipped free by the case, pretty decent price and I think he beats amazon due to tax.

Thanks for the RL tip...I live down in the valley near Modesto, but that trip at night around the lake was one of my first hard runs in this car. There was no traffic and it was one of those almost-spiritual experiences...until I noticed the fuel light come on with less than 100 miles on the tank. My neck was a little sore the next morning ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back