Peak Global Lifetime in Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2012 GC coolant reservoir was running low. No leaks, it's just been very hot lately. We got it used, and it has the newer purple OAT coolant, not the orange HOAT. The previous owner said the dealer flushed it.

I've been reading the forums, and Peak Global Lifetime seems to be the best thing outside of Mopar purple coolant. I'd rather not have to flush it, and dealer coolant is insanely expensive. Any advice?

Thanks! I found it at Walgreens just like the other threads said. It was as cheap as Prestone would be at AZ, AAP, etc., and way cheaper than the dealer. 15 bucks!

I topped it off. It was only half a gallon low, but that was right on the minimum line. It's been around 95-100F outside, and didn't want my wife have it break down somewhere. I've seen what mixing coolants can do, and didn't want that, either.

Last edited:
All ya gotta do is read the back of the jug. It says it mixes with anything but do a flush if you want it to be lifetime.Easy enuff

Originally Posted by Crispysea
I topped it off. It was only half a gallon low,

You have problems if your a half gallon low.

Originally Posted by Warstud

thumbsup2.gif
I'd pressure test it and top it off with the Mopar coolant if it passes muster. With all the problems with mixing OAT with HOAT, etc. for $25 or less shipped to my house for the Mopar coolant that's what I'd be using,
27.gif
or distilled water if the mix in the cooling system is strong enough.

So supposedly the dealer completely flushed all the previous G-05 and went with FCA OAT AF. Wow, no idea why a dealer would have voluntarily and seemingly arbitrarily have done that. Doesn't make sense to me. And though I've personally not seen evidence of OAT and HOAT mixing causing an issue, seems especially with FCA it may be a concern. That being the case, the dealer would have needed to make sure ALL the previous G-05 was eliminated before using the FCA OAT.

That said, as noted PGL is currently the only aftermarket AF I'd be comfortable mixing with FCA OAT. Like the latter, it's also a long service interval OAT with no 2eha. So, imo that's not an issue. Now while there may be other things going on, using PGL wouldn't be a concern. If mixing HOAT and OAT is an issue in FCA, be more concerned with why the dealer switched and if all the previous AF was flushed. My .02

Originally Posted by Warstud

The reservoir was on the lowest line. It's been slowly evaporating in this hot summer. The actual radiator was full. The Pentastar engine actually works best with OAT, from what I've read. It's at 150k, with no issues.

The coolant was flushed because the heater core was replaced. It was clogged from the factory. It was a well-known issue in the 2012 model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back