Supertech "e-cores", ST2 and ST10575 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was @ WM picking up a XG2 for my 02 Mercury Mountaineer and decided to check out the ST2 which is "compatible" with the PH2 and other filters but picking it up and looking into it and doing a quick google search I found that it doesn't have a by-pass on the end.
The pics and vids online show a black ADBV the same similar shape to that in the Frams.

I also picked up the ST10575 an noticed the same, to by pass on the end.

Do they have combo valves or no by pass at all? From what I understand the GM applications that use that type of filter have by-pass built into the engine but other applications that the filter is supposed to be compatible with do not have built in by-passes.

So are the ST2 & 10575 really "Compatible" with the Fram model 2 and 10575?

Last edited:
ST2 is a combo valve, not sure about the 10575.

I feel the PH2 is a bit better due to the silicone ADV and true bypass valve, as well as a bit better filtraton.
But the ST2 is still a decent filter for basic oil changes.

I bought a ST9688 for my mom's Kia, but the ST9688 has a true bypass, seperate ADV and metal end caps.

Good to know, ST are made by Champ correct?
I agree the ST lineup is good for the price.

It would be nice if it had a silicone adbv.
I kind of think with most cars having extended drain intervals (longer then 3k miles) and most oils being run longer then 3k silicone should be the standard.

nitrile black rubber adbvs are fine for 5-7k mile OCIs. as long as it is a known supplier. Ebay or AliBABA special you never heard of may have a cheap black rubber that wont last but and brand you can get wat and autoperts store or walmart will be fine..... except [censored] (downed dog yelps again).
smile.gif

Many many cut and post showing. I run toyota oem filters (Denso) and they have the black nitrile. i have run out to 10k oci with penziol platinum and the rubber felt no different than the ne that ran to 5k. truck started quiet each time,

Nitrile is used as a seal material and gaskets in MANY engines.

To say "nitrile is only good for 3,000 miles" is like saying your engine's gaskets and seals are toast before the engine reaches 10,000 miles

Originally Posted by Linctex

To say "nitrile is only good for 3,000 miles" is like saying your engine's gaskets and seals are toast before the engine reaches 10,000 miles

I didn't think about that. I've just heard stories about some of the Fords having issues with filters that have the nitrile adbv's.
Also was I informed correctly that some Ford engines actually specifically call for filters that have silicone adbv and others dont?

All nitrile ADBVs are not created equal-Baldwin ones are pretty good, I've had Puro Classic/Quaker State ones fail in less than 2000 miles. There's a good reason why many Fram Extra Guard filters now come with a silicone one.

Mine are surely good for 7500 miles - Not to mention industrial applications by the thousands - My black ACD version is a shiny and pliable nitrile - plenty thick. Just for fun I left one on the roof of my shed for 4 months and it was still soft and durable after all the UV exposure. They are not cutting these off the side of rubber trees.

Further - it's 7 quarts to change my engine with one left on - and 8 quarts with one off. That little filter only holds a few ounces. The nitrile ADBV is holding the u-tube.

Like they got cost leverage by sticking with one ADBV - even though it's now in a filter not worthy of one
At some point it was cheaper to just put electric windows in cars too.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Like they got cost leverage by sticking with one ADBV - even though it's now in a filter not worthy of one

Are you referring to the Fram extra guard "not worthy of one"?

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Originally Posted by 4WD

Are you referring to the Fram extra guard "not worthy of one"?

Entry level Fram filters get the minimum job done - but don't see the point of that so called "premium" add - unless they had ? nitrile and just wanted to buy one type.
I have all base up filters therefore black, orange, or purple ADBV is not my lone measure of quality and I will never buy Motorcraft because of the ADBV.
I buy PF63's for $4 and have posted several here both new and post OCI - I'd put it above the basic Fram but certainly behind the Gold can of Delight. (XG).
However - once the stock is purged and all XG10575's have the higher PRV pressure - I'd like to head back to those for two OCI's
(for it's ability to trap finer and more dirt).

After looking more online and on here it seems like more and more Filters are going to trash now.
frown.gif

When I was younger (before I knew better) I would just use any filter and oil as long as it was "made for" my vehicles. Then I started seeing the pics of torn Purolators and collapsed Fram EG's. But even now I cannot help but think does it matter really? Then filter paranoia kicks in lol

Speaking of the basic fram, I got someone I know that has riding mowers sporting a basic and a tough guard. Cant wait for him to change the oil so I can cut them open and see how they held up. (They have been on them for a while).

You are correct, but those are normally "static" applications, (which will last a long, long time), not an actual valve that flexes. That's not to say that there are some flexible applications, but usually you'll find that those are, while black in color, actually a different synthetic material.

You are correct, but those are normally "static" applications, (which will last a long, long time), not an actual valve that flexes. That's not to say that there are some flexible applications, but usually you'll find that those are, while black in color, actually a different synthetic material.[/quote]

We use nitrile in pressure sealing equipment that flexes - all over the world in multimillion dollar operations - so I'm not that concerned over my oil filter especially considering I cut open 100% that I use - and run around 6k on them. If I ever get a bad one - will post it here - but going to use up my supply and change for better filtering - not ADBV.

Nitrile, like anything else has grades, specifications, and QAQC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back