Oil stashes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the rare event you had a fire in your garage/storage, could having an oil stash a) be problematic for fire personnel and b) be a problem when it comes time to file an insurance claim? I was going to ask my agent this but I didn't want to put on record that I keep gallons and gallons of oil on my property.

Shouldn't be a real problem. Motor oil is not explosive like gasoline and not as flammable as kerosene. I wouldn't worry about it. There are far more flammable things in your home. And don't bring it up with your agent.

In many homeowner's policies (that most don't read about coverage, exclusions, etc.) there are limits on flammable liquid amounts for home storage. Whether oil can be considered one-I'm not sure.

BTW-if 50 gallons of stored gas contributed to a fire-the fire department will know..........................

Just because you don't tell your agent-doesn't mean there isn't a PRINTED EXCLUSION.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
In many homeowner's policies (that most don't read about coverage, exclusions, etc.) there are limits on flammable liquid amounts for home storage. Whether oil can be considered one-I'm not sure.

BTW-if 50 gallons of stored gas contributed to a fire-the fire department will know..........................

Just because you don't tell your agent-doesn't mean there isn't a PRINTED EXCLUSION.

If you have 50gl of stored oil on site and there's a fire, the fire Dept most assuredly will know and you may have a [duty to inform] them of such. As for the "don't ask, don't tell" approach.. I'm not sure that gets you out of your policies language, if any. Ignorance is not always a legal defense.

Fwiw, I'm in the 40gl range now and was just wondering today about it since it's policy renewal time. I am with the other guy leaning towards NOT bringing it up...I guess I was just wondering aloud about the possible implications, if any.

Last edited:
If anyone here is performing commercial work or operating a business in a residential building that's insured as residential, that's much more problematic with your insurance company than storing motor oil on site. Just saying.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
If anyone here is performing commercial work or operating a business in a residential building that's insured as residential, that's much more problematic with your insurance company than storing motor oil on site. Just saying.

Good to know but storing oil can still potentially be problematic???

I would worry more about the gas for your lawn mower than quarts of oil. Is your lawn mower gas stored in a red safety can? If not it should be if stored in house/basement or attached garage.

I just purchased my towns old water tower and keep my oil stash in it. I sometimes swim in it like Scrooge McDuck does in his vault. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Your best bet is to call the local fire department and ask.

Originally Posted by Donald
I would worry more about the gas for your lawn mower than quarts of oil. Is your lawn mower gas stored in a red safety can? If not it should be if stored in house/basement or attached garage.

Sure is...

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I just purchased my towns old water tower and keep my oil stash in it. I sometimes swim in it like Scrooge McDuck does in his vault. Problem solved.

...‚...‚...‚... now that's a stash!

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Your best bet is to call the local fire department and ask.

Good suggestion..ðŸ‘

Engine oil isn't considered flammable but it will burn and the fumes it can give off can be a 'concern' to firefighters.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Engine oil isn't considered flammable but it will burn and the fumes it can give off can be a 'concern' to firefighters.

Sure as heck will burn and if I'm not mistaken using water to put it out is useless and can actually propagate the fire...ever seen oil burn sitting on water, it sure does.

In the rare event you had a fire in your garage/storage, could having an oil stash a) be problematic for fire personnel and b) be a problem when it comes time to file an insurance claim? I was going to ask my agent this but I didn't want to put on record that I keep gallons and gallons of oil on my property.

Why do people do this, is my question? I get it with ammunition, etc. but in what catastrophic situation will you be able to buy enough gasoline/diesel to need an oil change, where you also cannot find the oil at WalMart to perform said oil change?

Originally Posted by Ws6

Why do people do this, is my question? I get it with ammunition, etc. but in what catastrophic situation will you be able to buy enough gasoline/diesel to need an oil change, where you also cannot find the oil at WalMart to perform said oil change?

Dunno..an addiction I suppose. Why can I use Vicodin and not get addicted to it but the next guy does?

I guess I "rationalize" by saying, "at least I'm not as bad as THAT guy"...‚.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Dunno..an addiction I suppose. Why can I use Vicodin and not get addicted to it but the next guy does?

I guess I "rationalize" by saying, "at least I'm not as bad as THAT guy"...‚.

Less than 10% on this forum are hoarders. Many get "stuck" with their stash when they need to move (moving companies will not move oil)-or the vehicles the oil was originally purchased for is sold-or disposed of by another means (accident). With oil weights/other specs that now vary widely from each auto manufacturer-it's even more risky to hoard.

It's a strange hobby for sure.

Look out now for the apologist saying how the "savings" is funding their IRA-or some other non-sense.

Have you stopped your meds again CKN ???

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

In my case my company got bought out and had a couple leftover 55 gallon drums of delo xle 10w-30. This oil was either going to be forgotten about or thrown away.....so obviously I couldn't let that happen so they ended up at my house. I will say the oil in the drums would fair better in a fire than some plastic bottles would. I won't have to buy oil for a extremely long time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back