Schumacher Instant Power&Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy gave me his(from ~2010) carry-a-round Schumacher(#IP125C) battery jumper(w/mini compressor) but, the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. I did try giving the battery a full charge but, it won't hold the charge for more than a few hours. I realize that the unit is no longer in production but has been updated. Batteries are still available. This is similar to what the unit looks like:

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-I...KPOA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

I can buy a new battery(amazon/ebay/W*M online etc) for between $35-$60 depending on whether I want Lead Acid or AGM. My question is, would the AGM give me longer life if I spend the extra money? Worth it or not considering this is only for emergencies and who knows when I'll need to use it!

Last edited:
I feel better prepared with my Li-Ion battery pack and 12V compressor. 10,000 mAh capacity with jump start for $50. It's so small it fits in with the spare tire.

Right! If I didn't already have this one, which also has USB, charging & cigarette lighter ports.

However I have never had nor needed a carry-a-long jump starter or mini air compressor. But since it was given to me, I thought that I'd give it a try. I did try the aie compressor while it was charged momentarily and it does in fact work. But to use the jump start function, it'll certainly need a new battery.

Id go with the AGM if planning on keeping it, I had one in my X3 that was originally made in 2002 for an S class, lasted until 2015.

AGM won't serve you longer, but it withstands self-discharge and deep discharge much better. So, in the end, it may serve you much longer. it all depends on how you maintain the unit, be it regular lead-acid or AGM battery. I have AGM batteries in the cars my wife drives for various reasons, safety in roll-over and fire is one of them. Just an example of an approach, depending on the application..

Originally Posted by Y_K
AGM won't serve you longer, but it withstands self-discharge and deep discharge much better. So, in the end, it may serve you much longer. it all depends on how you maintain the unit, be it regular lead-acid or AGM battery. I have AGM batteries in the cars my wife drives for various reasons, safety in roll-over and fire is one of them. Just an example of an approach, depending on the application..

Good point!
Yes, I will maintain the unit as well as I maintain just about everything else I own.
Even if I don't use the unit often for myself/family, I'd like to be able to help others in that pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back