O2 sensor recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, looking for some advice here. I'm thinking of considering replacing the upstream O2 sensor on our '09 Mazda 5 (Duratec 2.3, 169K km [105K miles]). No codes or driveability issues, this would be to maintain present performance and economy. There was a recent thread on here, and I've read elsewhere, that O2 sensors gradually lose their efficacy, and allow the engine to run increasingly richer. 160K km/100K miles is often cited as a reasonable mileage at which to change out the O2 sensor.

I will check the dealer, but expect that the part will be quite expensive.

Does anyone know who the OEM manufacturer was?

Rock Auto lists Ultra-Power, Walker, and Bosch as "economy" options, and NTK, Denso, and AC Delco as "daily driver" options. Thoughts on the relative quality of these?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...t+&+emission,oxygen+(o2)+sensor,5132

Thanks in advance for your help!

Usually it is Denso or NTK for Japanese, AC Delco rebadge others.

You can tell who manufactures what by looking at the rockauto photos and compare Denso, NTK, or Bosch (the 3 real manufacturers), and check for who made the OEM by looking for the photos online (on DIY video of the old sensor).

I've used the cheaper sensor brands that "matches" the Denso OEM with no problem, on my 97 and 95 Toyota / Honda.

I've saved money by buying universal O2 sensors. They come without the connector. You have to splice the old connector to the new sensor. You can save about half the money.

If you have a $20 USB OBD2 reader and android device with Torq Lite, you can graph the voltage coming from the O2 sensor and see if it's getting lazy. I change them out when they throw a code.

My upstream O2 sensor went out with a CEL at 159,227 mi.
I read that the Volvo system was sensitive to bad, fake O2 sensors.
The original sensor was branded both Volvo and Denso so I bought a Denso. No probs at all.

My sensor must've just died. My mileage was solid 26-27. One week I saw the needle plummet whilst driving. Cost the cat 3 of its lives.
Detection, procurement and installation occurred within 2 weeks.
Mileage went back to 26-27.
I too have read of replacing them as a matter of maintenance.

Interesting warning on the Denso spec page I was looking at for one for my Tacoma.

ATTENTION
Inspect contents before
opening. Once this
package has been
opened, it cannot be
returned.

I had an interesting experience. Replaced a pre-cat O2 sensor 2002 GMC Safari 4.3 due to CEL. OEM was Denso, replaced with Bosch only due to convenience. Didn't think it would matter as Bosch was listed on parts store computer as correct. After installation still had code. A little research discovered (this particular vehicle/engine) was not happy with anything other than Denso. Had something to due with the switching parameters of the sensor. Sure enough, ordered Denso, installed - been fine ever since. This may just be an oddball scenario as Bosch certainly provides many OEM's.

Rock Auto is screwy with this economy and daily driver routine. Bosch and Walker are not economy sensors (the Bosch cost more than many in their list), Walker uses a Denso or NTK (sorry I don't remember which one I have to look it up) pill and wires it in the USA.
I have used many of them and found the connector and length to be as good or better than any on the market. Bosch is quite possibly OE on a Ford engine. The only two I would not buy from the list is Ulta Power (garbage) and the Delco which is way over priced, the rest are all good.

I think I've replaced O2 sensors in the last 4 years on a Toyota, a Dodge and a Chevy. I'm pretty sure I replaced all with Denso and they have worked well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 379KITTY
I had an interesting experience. Replaced a pre-cat O2 sensor 2002 GMC Safari 4.3 due to CEL. OEM was Denso, replaced with Bosch only due to convenience. Didn't think it would matter as Bosch was listed on parts store computer as correct. After installation still had code. A little research discovered (this particular vehicle/engine) was not happy with anything other than Denso. Had something to due with the switching parameters of the sensor. Sure enough, ordered Denso, installed - been fine ever since. This may just be an oddball scenario as Bosch certainly provides many OEM's.

Not oddball. Bosch has a poor reputation for replacement 02 sensors, especially the universal types.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I've saved money by buying universal O2 sensors. They come without the connector. You have to splice the old connector to the new sensor. You can save about half the money.

Not worth it these days when rock auto's aftermarket sells for only $30 or so, instead of the $50 or $60 from the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I put Bosch in everything, except Toyota's, where I use Denso. Haven't had one go bad yet.

Me neither......Though I hope this doesn't turn into a Bosch bash thread.

If this Mazda has Ford DNA.....Bosch was likely the OE manufacturer.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I put Bosch in everything, except Toyota's, where I use Denso. Haven't had one go bad yet.

Me neither......Though I hope this doesn't turn into a Bosch bash thread.

If this Mazda has Ford DNA.....Bosch was likely the OE manufacturer.

Me neither, never a problem with a Bosch 02. The reason a lot of people complain about the universals is they solder the wires effectively cutting off the sensors access to a reference air supply.

Bosch O2 sensors are very high quality and have good quality control.

There are FAKES that do surface more than you'd think, that might be the reason for problems. There are LOTS of fake electrical parts in the market today, and they do a pretty good job of looking like the real thing even if the quality and performance is carp.

That is a great point! Walbro fuel pumps has had a lot of problems with fakes that are so good they even got the installation parts content colors and hologram correct but the quality isn't there and they either fail early or don't put out the rated GPH.

With O2 sensors, MAF sensors and other finely calibrated emissions equipment, I always try to get OEM replacement parts. Have personally seen (and heard of) way too many issues from cheap aftermarket brands. In all fairness these brands may be quality parts but still they are not quite OEM. Also remember that some makes and models are more sensitive to different brands of electronics, others are more tolerant. Your mileage may vary. I still suggest spending extra on the OEM stuff, then you're practically guaranteed to do this replacement only once
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back