Blade for brush cutter

I bought a handheld Cub Cadet brush cutter / grass trimmer. Need to cut brush like wild rose bushes. Too stalky/woody for a grass trimmer.

What would be the better blade, a blade that looks like you would have in a circular saw or one that looks like a circle with 4 rectangles welded to it that are the actual teeth?

I tried it today and while it easily will cut a woody wild rose bush, it has trouble when you you try to go into a thicket of various tall weeds including wild rose bushes and cut them.

I used the blade that comes with it that is like a circle with 4 rectangles welded to it.

I have a Stihl FS130 for the various needs on the property. It has the grass trimmer, the attachment for three nylon blades and the circular saw-like blade. The blade attachment is fantastic when I have to cut the raspberry plants back in late Fall as well as young saplings growing into seldom used trails. I know of the 4 rectangular welded attachment you're talking about but never used one. I would guess the machine your using would need the power to create the RPMs so the attachment can cut easily through the material without too much deflection.

If your brush is soft and "viney" vs. woody, I would have thought your 4 sided blade would be best. I only cut woody brush and the Stihl chainsaw style blade works excellent and is very easy to sharpen.

https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/stihl-chisel-tooth-circular-saw-blade-200mm-x-25-4mm.html .... It's hard to tell from the picture, but the teeth have a similar profile to a chainsaw chisel chain and can be sharpened easily in a vice. I never had much luck with the blades that look like a hand saw.

The chisel tooth blade on this page: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/

Originally Posted by doitmyself
If your brush is soft and "viney" vs. woody, I would have thought your 4 sided blade would be best. I only cut woody brush and the Stihl chainsaw style blade works excellent and is very easy to sharpen.

https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/stihl-chisel-tooth-circular-saw-blade-200mm-x-25-4mm.html .... It's hard to tell from the picture, but the teeth have a similar profile to a chainsaw chisel chain and can be sharpened easily in a vice. I never had much luck with the blades that look like a hand saw.

The chisel tooth blade on this page: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/

Its a mix of tall weeds and woody wild rose bushes. You cannot easily see which stalk is which when you go into a thicket

I have both types for a big old craftsman (1992) and I like using the one which looks like a circular saw blade for cutting small woody trunks and the rectangular for brush cutting.. The brush always seemed to want to wrap around the circular blade and I would sometimes have to un-tangle it.

Last edited:
The 4 sided blade is mainly for grass like vegetation it doesn't work as well for woody plants. The 3 sided Stihl blade may be better for you. I use the circular saw looking blades with carbide teeth the most and with enough power it will cut almost anything that is a smaller diameter than the blade. You just have to be sure that the blade is spinning in the correct direction and cut from right to left so that it doesn't kick back. You should also only use a blade on a machine with handle bars for safety. In the case of a mishap the handle bars should make contact with your body keeping the spinning blade a safe distance away from you. I have found that using a up and down motion instead of side to side can help in heavy brush.

The way the guard is shaped, I cannot use a blade larger than the current 4 sided blade. I will try the up and down motions and see how that goes. Then maybe sharpen the blade.

This machine was made for a blade or trimmer line. It ships from the factory with both.

When I worked at a hire centre, I put all sorts of fancy blades on our Jonsered scrub cutter...I put some blades on that had chainsaw teeth. One day I went past where a customer was using our scrub cutter - to cut down a tree !!! So from then on it went out with only a 2 blade grass blade. It would still take down thumb size sapplings....but not willows.

Back