Motorcraft FA-4 spec oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, if an oil meets a stringent spec like FA-4 does it matter who makes it? Secondly any reason to not go with Motorcraft? Thirdly is there really any special testing done by Ford or is it just a marketing gimmick? I have the 3.0l TD6 engine and just picked up two cases of 12 quart for $80 each on eBay.

Also, how often should I really change the oil? Just wait for the computer to tell me, do it seasonally, annually?

There's been a lot of testing of FA-4 oils, and if an engine is built for it-slightly higher MPGs can result from using it. Depends on how much you trust Ford's diesel engine program, I'm in the once bitten, twice shy category (6.0 PSD issues).

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
There's been a lot of testing of FA-4 oils, and if an engine is built for it-slightly higher MPGs can result from using it. Depends on how much you trust Ford's diesel engine program, I'm in the once bitten, twice shy category (6.0 PSD issues).

The 6.0 is actually a very reliable engine with some minor changes and with updated parts.

Originally Posted by mattd

The 6.0 is actually a very reliable engine with some minor changes and with updated parts.
Sure, an EGR cooler, a set of head gaskets with ARP studs (which generally means taking off the cab or pulling the engine out the front with a forklift or similar), maybe a VV turbo (or 3 as we had a few of the 6.0 PSD vans need), maybe a set of injectors, a FICM, and/or an HPOP at $1K each?? That's not minor in my book.

The minor changes are an EGR delete, studs, updated stand pipes, dummy plugs and STC fitting, and a coolant filtration system with a silicate free ELC coolant. the 6.0 and the 6.7 are the most reliable trucks we have. All our 6.0s have he cooler deleted. The 05+ pumps rarely fail. The 03-04.5 trucks have the adrenaline pump from dieselsite that have proven to be much more reliable than the OEM. Injectors with mileage or poor maintence sure. It's a wear item. FICMs usually (key word here) fail from bad batteries. A new one from ford is 480$ pre programmed. The biggest expense is studs sure. Al the hour meters have been maxed out on all the 6.0s for years and only 1 set of head gaskets. 0 HPOPs, 1 FICM, and 2 out of 7 6.0 trucks got Injectors that's it. These are all rescue cab and chassis. F series.

OP sorry for the derailment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
The minor changes are an EGR delete, studs, updated stand pipes, dummy plugs and STC fitting, and a coolant filtration system with a silicate free ELC coolant. the 6.0 and the 6.7 are the most reliable trucks we have. All our 6.0s have he cooler deleted. The 05+ pumps rarely fail. The 03-04.5 trucks have the adrenaline pump from dieselsite that have proven to be much more reliable than the OEM. Injectors with mileage or poor maintence sure. It's a wear item. FICMs usually (key word here) fail from bad batteries. A new one from ford is 480$ pre programmed. The biggest expense is studs sure. Al the hour meters have been maxed out on all the 6.0s for years and only 1 set of head gaskets. 0 HPOPs, 1 FICM, and 2 out of 7 6.0 trucks got Injectors that's it. These are all rescue cab and chassis. F series.

OP sorry for the derailment.

This has very much been my experience also!

Keep in mind also the 6.0 was mainly an Interntional design, the 6.7L which is actually designed by Ford only has been a reliable engine.

Last edited:

My concern is that Ford is so petrified of CK-4 oils, yet there's a Motorcraft FA-4? I think Ford really needs to do something about their conflicting messages with respect to diesel engine lubrication.

I'm not even sure what they have that would call for FA-4. The smaller half ton diesels have generally gone to a C3 type lube, which has higher HTHS. Then, when they find something doesn't pan out, they go to an ordinary E7, E9 HDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back