First Transaxle Service on Toro Timecutter HD54

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Toro Timecutter HD 54 now has a little over 50 hours on it and I decided it was time to service the transaxles. The mower has the Hydro-Gear ZT-3100s. Yesterday, I bought 5qt of Super Tech 20W50 and 2 NAPA 400102 filters. The first time is a learning experience. It will be easier from now on. The performance is improved.

Originally Posted by MParr
My Toro Timecutter HD 54 now has a little over 50 hours on it and I decided it was time to service the transaxles. The mower has the Hydro-Gear ZT-3100s. Yesterday, I bought 5qt of Super Tech 20W50 and 2 NAPA 400102 filters. The first time is a learning experience. It will be easier from now on. The performance is improved.

What sort of improvement in performance did you notice after only 50 hours? It's basically still new. I first serviced my 1998 John Deere lx188 with a Tuff Torq K61 at 10 years with Mobil1 15w50. Just serviced it again a month ago with Mobil1 15w50. The oil was a light amber color and probably could have went a lot longer.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by MParr

What sort of improvement in performance did you notice after only 50 hours? It's basically still new. I first serviced my 1998 John Deere lx188 with a Tuff Torq K61 at 10 years with Mobil1 15w50. Just serviced it again a month ago with Mobil1 15w50. The oil was a light amber color and probably could have went a lot longer.

It's not jerky like it was before the change. More oil went in than I took out. There are no leaks. It may have been a little low from the factory. That's not unusual. Hydro-Gear recommends the first change between 75 hours and 100 hours and changes every 400 hours after that.

Last edited:
You can get those filters at RockAuto for ten and change...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/wix,WL10102,filter,8600

Yep, that's a good price. The OE Hydro-Gear 52114 look exactly like the WIX/NAPA filter, the only difference being the paint color. Stens has their version and Rotary has their version. I'll probably buy online next time. I will check my local Toro dealer, he may carry the Rotary branded filter at a good price. I still came out cheaper than buying the Hydro-Gear service kit.

Nothing wrong with oil choices I guess but wondering why not use the he popular M1 15w50 or any other synthetic.

Originally Posted by dave123
Nothing wrong with oil choices I guess but wondering why not use the he popular M1 15w50 or any other synthetic.

Availability and cost. The Mobil 1 15W50 isn't something readily available at my local Walmart. I had two choices, Super Tech and Castrol GTX. The Hydro-Gear service manual only requires 20W50 SL rated automotive oil. Sure you can spend a lot of money buying the Toro, Exmark, Bad Boy or Hydro-Gear oil but it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back