New container for Quaker state fully synthetic oil Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember these?

Anyway. Yeah, brands tend to "mock reinvent" themselves occasionally.

In other words, changing a label will make the product look new on the shelf to consumers walking by. Even if the product itself hasnt changed.

At the same time lately nostalgia has set in, companies are bringing back old designs as a "throwback" to appeal to this crowd, this is a tactic to convince the public "weve been quality since this time", lately I've seen companies such as Chef Boyardee, Coors, and a few others follow this tactic.

And whoever said they want the clear bottles back, no, I want the old cans back! Cant tamper with those!

8050018_qus_59671_pri_larg.jpg

download.jpeg

311lj3RNgTL.jpg

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

And whoever said they want the clear bottles back, no, I want the old cans back! Cant tamper with those!

I don't know...oil cans were pretty dangerous back when I was a kid!...‚

[Linked Image]

I finally threw my good can tapper away.

There is no better way to ensure you will need a tool than to get rd of it.

So cans are coming back, it is inevitable

Rod

Last edited:
The youngsters won't know how to open them. Everything is easy pull these days.

The metal cans were fine. The cardboard cans were not, especially towards the end of their time. The companies made them so thin and cheap they leaked just sitting on the shelves.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I finally threw my good can tapper away.

There is no better way to ensure you will need a tool than to get rd of it.

So cans are coming back, it is inevitable

Rod

With the war on plastics starting, it's a matter of time before cardboard or metal cans come back. I'm sure theres a baby sea urchin choking on a mobil 1 bottle somewhere or something.

With the war on plastics starting, it's a matter of time before cardboard or metal cans come back. I'm sure theres a baby sea urchin choking on a mobil 1 bottle somewhere or something.

Well if it's all the same I'd prefer my tuna sandwich without the micro plastics......so yeah, I'm ok with bringing back metal cans but not the cardboard unless they've found a way to keep them from deteriorating. Nothing worse than grabbing a cardboard can and feeling it squish because the oils seeping through...

Originally Posted by kstanf150
My Ace Hardware still has some

LOL! My Family Dollar has tons of that in 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40 but at $4.95 it's not selling

Originally Posted by PimTac
The metal cans were fine. The cardboard cans were not, especially towards the end of their time. The companies made them so thin and cheap they leaked just sitting on the shelves.
Even I can scarcely remember oil in metal 1-quart cans. Metal 10-quart and 5-gallon cans, yes. As I recall, the cardboard (with steel ends) cans rarely leaked unless they (or the box containing 24 of them) had been dropped.

What material were the clear Quaker State bottles made of? Whatever it was, I suspect it was either less reliable or more expensive than the HDPE normally used for oil bottles nowadays.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by PimTac
Even I can scarcely remember oil in metal 1-quart cans. Metal 10-quart and 5-gallon cans, yes. As I recall, the cardboard (with steel ends) cans rarely leaked unless they (or the box containing 24 of them) had been dropped.

What material were the clear Quaker State bottles made of? Whatever it was, I suspect it was either less reliable or more expensive than the HDPE normally used for oil bottles nowadays.

Uh, wrong. I worked as a stock boy as a kid and had to throw out (or they were marked down to something like .50c) cardboard cans that were showing signs of seepage around the metal end caps, almost always it was the bottom end cap. The cardboard would be real squishy almost to where you could jam your finger through it. Sometimes we'd turn the can over but the store owner didn't like that because of how it looked. Now granted it took a while for the can to get like that but it did happen.

This is a pretty cool pic.. this is how I remember STP, in the can. My dad always put in a can of STP back then.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

LOL! My Family Dollar has tons of that in 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40 but at $4.95 it's not selling

I've been thinking of buying a quart and just put it on the shelf

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Uh, wrong. I worked as a stock boy as a kid and had to throw out (or they were marked down to something like .50c) cardboard cans that were showing signs of seepage around the metal end caps, almost always it was the bottom end cap. The cardboard would be real squishy almost to where you could jam your finger through it. ...
And you can remember from since you were a stockboy that those leaky cans (and the boxes they came from) showed no sign of having been dropped or otherwise physically abused?

I stored cases of cans of oil on closet shelves for years and never had a leaky mess. Same when my father stored them on garage shelves earlier. You could sometimes find the "real squishy" kind with crumpled bottom edges on store shelves.

Last edited:

I'd ask to speak to the manager and show them how it's out of spec and could cause issues to someone with a newer vehicle. Offer to buy it for cheaper, then run it in a lawnmower

If they don't comply, Ah well, at least you tried.

Last edited:

I'd ask to speak to the manager and show them how it's out of spec and could cause issues to someone with a newer vehicle. Offer to buy it for cheaper, then run it in a lawnmower

If they don't comply, Ah well, at least you tried.

The folks at my Ace Hardware would look at you like you were talking out of three heads......Out of specs motor oil 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 what the heck does that mean .....now ask em about a chainsaw or a gallon of paint or some bug killer.
Man they'd be all over that.. but motor oil Naw ain't gona happen...be wasting your breath on that topic ...‚

Uh, wrong. I worked as a stock boy as a kid and had to throw out (or they were marked down to something like .50c) cardboard cans that were showing signs of seepage around the metal end caps, almost always it was the bottom end cap. The cardboard would be real squishy almost to where you could jam your finger through it. ...
And you can remember from since you were a stockboy that those leaky cans (and the boxes they came from) showed no sign of having been dropped or otherwise physically abused?

I stored cases of cans of oil on closet shelves for years and never had a leaky mess. Same when my father stored them on garage shelves earlier. You could sometimes find the "real squishy" kind with crumpled bottom edges on store shelves.

It's possible, that was a long time ago. But I wouldn't expect today's Walmart employee to take any extra care throwing around boxes (of oil), than I did when I was a kid. If you Google the words drain+paper+oil+can you'll find forums where collectors of old cans talk about whether to drain or leave in the oil.

Way back in the olden days, I used to work at a warehouse, and I remember shipping cases of oil and ATF when these fluids were still in paper cans. What I remember is the higher quality brands typically didn't seep, - unless the were stored in the overhead racks with a pallet of heavier product stacked on top of them, or someone mishandled them on a forklift.

The cheaper brands of oil and ATF would regularly seep out of their cans and through their cases. You'd have to be really careful not to slip and fall onto the concrete floor around the pick locations for the cases of cheapie fluids.

I still remember when oils and ATF transitioned over to 1 quart plastic bottles. And back then I was very happy they did!

That's just laughable. It's not the store's responsibility in any way whatsoever. They sell a few different types of ATF and many of them shouldn't be used in different cars so what should they do about that ? They sell candy and soda pop and those can make people fat and unhealthy.... Talk to the manager about those ?

Well, society can't be forceful about all this - oil should be able to identify based on how it feels - and pick what shelf it wants to sit on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back