2004 Volvo XC-90 codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This 2004 XC-90 is for sale at a local Exxon service station.
I was told it was the wife's car and well cared for.
It's a base model. 5 cylinder (2.435 L low pressure turbo), auto without sunroof or leather
It drove quite well though it had no discernible turbo boost.
It shifted well, had clean oil on the dipstick though a few chunks of build-up on the filler cap and oil fill grille.
The AC worked just fine too.
I pulled 17 codes with my BSR-PPC reader.
There was no Check Engine Light
The CEL did light up appropriately with the start-up circuit.

Each 3 letter abbreviation is a node or module and is Volvo terminology.
I used CAPS after each code and definition for clarity.

1) ECM 2A2A - Rear HO2S bank #1 heating. I WILL CHANGE THE REAR O2 SENSOR
2) CEM 1A66 - Communication with ICM. NO IDEA WHAT ICM MEANS
3) CEM 5B01 - LH heating element. HEATING ELEMENT OF WHAT?
4) CEM 6C48 - Transponder type. KEY FOB TRANSPONDER?
5) CEM 6C49 - Steering Column Lock Module. KEY WORKED OK. THE DISABLER RING ?
6) CEM 8F2D - Windshield Wipers / wiper. WIPERS AND WASHERS WORKED OK
7) CEM 8F2E - Windshield Wipers / wiper. as above
8) ECM 4801 - TWC efficiency bank 1. WHAT IS TWC?
9) DDM 0025 - BUT 0035 REFERRED TO THE PASSENGER WINDOW
10) PDM 0025 - as above
11) UEM 0035 - reading lamp
12) UEM 0037 - reading lamp
13) UEM 0039 - General Courtesy lighting
14) UEM 0080 - Rain Sensor
15) PCM 002A - NO PCM CODES LISTED
16) PCM 002B - as above
17) PCM 0023 - as above

Any help with any of these will be much appreciated.
1) I was certain the heating element of the sensor went bad but have heard since that starting the car with it unplugged can leave a legacy code.
2) as stated, what's an ICM and where should I look?
3) LH (left hand?) heating element?
4 + 5) The fob was banged up and I heard having 2 fobs close together can trip such a code
6 + 7) The wipers and washers work. Maybe snow weight caused ghost codes?
8) TWC efficiency? no clue
9 + 10) Windows work so again, maybe ghost codes from holding a switch too long
11 - 14) I can live with these. I'll check the bulbs and throw water on the windshield. Where would the rain sensor be?
15 - 17) There were no PCM definition nor heading let alone codes listed. I did learn it means Power Control Module

Any help with these puzzlers is appreciated.

thanks George (and Kira)

TWC is Three Way Catalyst; on a regular car this is a P0420. Almost always means the cat is worn out.

Why aren't these in standard OBDII format?

Last edited:
Phew. That's a list of codes! First, let's disregard most of the lighting codes. Then, let's disregard the CEM codes, those are body control module codes and are probably erroneous.

The two ECM codes -

4801 - TWC stands for "three-way converter". This mean your Bank 1 cat isn't operating as designed. This COULD be caused by the 2A2A code. I think you're right in replacing the oxygen sensor first.

LH heating element would (likely) point towards the driver's side heated seat. Does it function?

The three PCM codes... are you sure those weren't TCM codes? Those codes are all gear ratio incorrect codes. Did it shift alright?

If I were you, I would clear ALL codes from ALL modules, then test drive for a half hour or so. Play with all the random things in the car, again verifying that they work. Re-run your code scan, and see what comes back.

Without VIDA - These codes are guessing...

With VIDA, you can click on each one, get expanded troubleshooting and repair information.

If I had to guess ( and I am, since my VIDA computer is at home), you've got several stored codes in the CEM (Central Electronic Module). A 13 year old CEM may itself be faulty, or those may be intermittent. Clear them, shut down the car, start it again, shut it down, and then re-scan.

The UEM (Upper Electronic Module, located in the rear view mirror) can probably be cleared if those lights work. Rain sensor is against the glass adjacent to the rear view mirror.

The PCM codes would show up with VIDA. Might be a fault in the CEM, since it is the module through which you're talking to all the modules. I would clear them, too.

TWC and O2 codes are likely valid, and you've got a plan for those.

Not sure on the ICM, but I am guessing the heating element is either the seat or the mirror? Nothing else on that list would bother me aside from maybe the steering column.

Do you have VIDA? Plug it in to one your cars and see how many nonsense codes come up. I'm betting my wife's would show quite a few since I just have a traditional code reader.

What are your plans with the car? Around town/ spare or kid's first car?

Capacious "extra" car. I'd prefer switchable, lockable "4WD" like my pal's Mitsubishi Outlander but do not want a framed trucklette with a big transfer case (Jeep XJ).

Since I know the engine and trannie a bit I'd feel confident going after this one. The clock was blank but there are cluster fixers for this era Volvo.

The key fob is smashed up and the chance of both fobs hanging together causing such a code mollify me a bit. The car started OK.
Might LED bulbs have caused the UEM codes?

I cleared the codes with my PPC reader and plan on going back tomorrow. Good Bridgestone tires on it too.

LED bulbs would absolutely cause codes.

I've never seen a volvo without codes, so I wouldn't worry too much about this car.

PCV system, oil leaks, angle gear fluid/leaks...those are your areas of concern.

Originally Posted by Kira
This 2004 XC-90 is for sale at a local Exxon service station.
I was told it was the wife's car and well cared for.

I would think if it was the service station owners wifes car and it was well cared for, all those issues would be addressed before putting it up for sale. They could be trying to dump it before the transmission, turbo or PCV system goes out. The engines are pretty bulletproof, but the transmission, awd, and accessories are can be a problem. How many miles? Price? I can buy these at the auction for $1,000 all day long.

Can't believe I omitted these...
104K asking $3,500.
The lady was a youth language teacher....I found a receipt for a new headliner which points to kids as well as transporting cribs or bicycles.

Also, the car had been towed in NYC last month. I made sure to drive it fast to see if the tow monkeys "unaligned" the car.

$3500 is a reasonable retail price for the mileage, but there is a reason 15 year old luxury cars are so cheap. You could easily spend that much on repairs the first year if you have to take it in to a shop. A Camry or Accord appliance of that vintage is going to cost about the same upfront, but you will probably have to spend next to nothing on it for repairs during the next year.

^^^ agree on price, though it might could come down $500. I happen to like these cars. Angle gear fluid level would play into my decision if it were me. The codes don't bother me so much. A non-volvo windshield might be the reason behind the auto-wiper error. I've experienced that. Google says the ICM is infotainment control module, which to me would not be a critical part. The oem radio probably has things like speed-adjusted volume, mute for cel-phone, perhaps dash light brightness, that communicate on the CANbus.

Note, if you disconnect the radio without removing battery ground, you may get a non-critical SRS error and light. If you buy the volvo, you will want to at least buy a volvo scanner, if not VIDA. It will pay for itself quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back